Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid

I guess this is what happens when you take someone like me, add someone like Kevin (DWD), and throw in some beer!
Here's the plan. This weekend I'm looking at buying a '79 F250 longbed. It has a 300 straight 6, leaf sprung dana44 front, dana 60 rear. Basically, I'm going to put my Explorer body on the F250 frame.
First things first. I need to rebuild the 6banger, trans and axles. Then, I cut some of the frame out of the F250, bring the dana60 forward a bit. Fab up some body mounts, get creative with the engine compartment and steering linkage coming out of the Explorer firewall. Then I spend 200 or so manhours rewiring, fabbing fuel and brake lines. Then I slap on some new tires (38s?) with 8lug rims and bingo....I go 4wheelin'.
This project doesnt have a 100% green light yet. I have a lot of messurments to take on the F250. If I'm satisfied with my tape messure, then its a go.
This project will obviously take time. My inital calculations for money are around $5000, although thats surely going to climb 20-30% (much like building a house). That cost includes the cost of the vehicle, but does not include tires/rims.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i got myself a po box down the street where there are no inspections and no emissions. all i need is the title (coming slowly from az).
Got the new leafs in the rear, shock mounts all done. just finished up the front gear and arb install. what a pain in the butt! waiting on seals, bearings and such to finish up the front end. made myself a front diff shield out of 1/2" solid bar and 3/8" diamond plate.
i ordered some autometer gauges to finish up the inside (water temp, oil press., and fuel). gonna mount them under the ashtray.
looks like i'll be taking her for a test run next weekend. see how she'll do. i've already started planning on how to get more flex. in a dream it had extending front shackles (sliding in and out, not unfolding) and a buggy spring setup in the rear. just a dream though.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

took the x out for a little vehicle recovery (a buddy of mine rolled). i dont have it licensed yet (still waiting on the title), so i took all the side roads, making no stops. it performs quite well i must say.
only problem i found was the fan blade is hitting the radiator just slightly...gonna have to fix that.
unfortunatly we didnt take any pics, it was a nasty roll down a waterfall, all work no play if you know what i mean. And all with out a snatch block (some ******* stole it at camp).

Since the x has become totally legal (knock on wood), i've taken her out a few times.
The first time was to shake out some bugs.
I found the fan was hitting the radiator upper resv. So, i moved the radiator out 1/2 inch. Problem solved.
My buddy got stuck (on his nose in a ravine), so i went in to winch him out. Unfortunatly, he was drunk, and got my winch conrtroller cable caught in the winch, blowing out a relay. So out comes the tow strap.
I started pulling, to no avail. The tires were not spinning, I had the front locker on and was just going for it in low. I popped my front left axle ujoint, and snapped the front left axle stub shaft. Eventually, we got him out with a highlift and some bust ass work.
So, i swapped in some Warn 4240 axle shafts and some Warn fusable links. Quite the set-up.
I took her out on labor day weekend for some serious fun. She kicks butt!!!
I thought this whole time my front end wouldnt flex, but my down travel is awsome. The top of my front left tire drops well below the body/frame! The rear end flexes just as well, if not better. i'm waiting on those new leafs to soften up a bit, only getting better and more flexable. Waiting on a picture that shows that all, and some possiable video to upload.
The only damage i took was my tie-rod. My front toe is currently about two inches in.
I'll bend the tierod back, and mount it ontop of the steering, above the leaf springs.
Unfortunatlly, the next wheelin' trip i'll be on is probably Truckhaven, since I just had knee surgery.

Hey,

That is some great work. Congrats on a job well done...

Can't wait till your paint job is done hank, i think thats going to look very cool.

Hi,

Main paint is done, just need to update my avatar. Putting on the bushwacker flares today. Probably going to herc the lower panel to match the EB paint scheme. Then add the stripes. Can't find a striper down here...

After that, 5.5 superlift and 4x conversion time.

All the best.
hg

Went wheelin' last weekend, the big rig held up well in the northwest's tree's, mud, rocks and rivers. the winch got a work out pulling others out, and it imploded my battery. a deep cycle/starting battery is now under the hood.
I'm currently working on 2 things. First, flipping my tierod above the leaf springs. second, an air intake snorkle and exhaust snorkle.

I'll get pictures up as soon as i can, they are all on friends digi cams...

PICS, WE NEED PICS!!!!!

PICS PICS PICS

i'm working on it
going wheelin again today, should get a bunch more good ones.
took out a door last weekend, glass and all........

Well, since i last imploded my battery, i swapped in a marine deep cycle starting battery. the last run i took the explorer on.....she died. as it turns out, i have so many lights that I need atleast an 180 amp alternator.
so....i'm going to install a second alternator. i'll be running two 100 ampers...since i dont have an a/c compressor, there's room. why two? its cheaper than buying a $400 200amp one.
i know your going to ask, how many lights? headlights, running lights, 2 hellas, two side (55watts each), two backups (55watt each), and 3 down below. then there's the arb aircompressor, my via air compressor, the winch, the stereo, ect....
i'll get the pics tomorrow, should have them uploaded tomorrow night.

i'll get more pics as my lazy buddies get me their cameras that the pics are saved on.

Dead Link Removed
[B]Dead Link Removed[/B]
[B]Dead Link Removed[/B]
[B]Dead Link Removed[/B]

hey man i have lossed touch with u but i just bought my new lift for my F150 it's the new skyjacker lift they came out for it but u know it'll be a pussy body truck though not a wheelin mutha like the ole' X //// oh yeah you will laugh but the only lift it has right now is a body lift i know i know what i used to say but hey atleast it's lifted

Clint

at least its lifted clint...how are you anyways? where are you?

well, went wheeling this last weekend, dropped down into a river to cross (about 20 feet down the bank) and as my tires came out of the water, my front left lower ball joint broke.
yes, it broke, and the wheel assembly came off.
that happened at 3:30pm. it was 2am before i had the wheel back on, the truck across the river on a flat bed. it rained the entire time. gotta love this hobby

and today, as i was putting all new ball joints and wheel bearings in, i boke my hand. damn steering knuckle fell, i tried to catch it. those things are heavy.

damn dude! sound sliek one of those experiences that suck now but you can laugh about later - i hope.

what exactly broke the ball joint you think? just a direct hit at sever angle? i have never heard of that happenning. its kinda scary to think about being in the middle of nowhere and you wheel assembly falls off.

i hope you feel better man.

Which town did this happen in? Sounds like you've got more of a project on your hands...

SOunds like you could have used me there on that trip. I don't think that I have ever heard of a ball joint breaking so a "way to go" is in order. I wish I could have been there but I am really looking forward to getting back and getting my truck back. Anyway, take care and my cell phone still works. Later dude.

the stud that goes into the axle sheered. i've never heard of them braking either, i've heard of dana 60king pins braking, but not ball joints.
and yes, i'm laughing about all this. they were very old ball joints, oe maybe even (1979). they were the one thing i had not replaced on the frond end. i was planning on replacing them this week, go figure they'd brake just before!
when it broke, all the was holding on the wheel assembly was the axle. what i had was the warn outer shaft, and a stock inner. the ears on the stock inner snapped, the warn outer held (bent of course). im replacing them with 4340 chromoly shafts with a ctm ujoint. lots of money i know, but i'm getting a great deal. the ctms are free, i'm paying 100 bucks for the inner shafts, and 75 for the outers. all labor is free. why? the shop that does drivlines for me and my brother cant comprehend how we brake this stuff. they've worked some deal with randy's ring and pinion up north after telling them about our custom rigs & the abuse we put them through. one of the sales folk @ randys called me, basically he said "try and brake these".
very cool indeed.

ps, this happened in reider pit (the river crossing for the lake issabelle trail), just outside of monroe/startup on hwy 2.

Aside from the oe ujoints, the ball joints are a weak link on the Dana 44. They break all the time. Dana 60 kingpins are much stronger.

Back