Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid

I guess this is what happens when you take someone like me, add someone like Kevin (DWD), and throw in some beer!
Here's the plan. This weekend I'm looking at buying a '79 F250 longbed. It has a 300 straight 6, leaf sprung dana44 front, dana 60 rear. Basically, I'm going to put my Explorer body on the F250 frame.
First things first. I need to rebuild the 6banger, trans and axles. Then, I cut some of the frame out of the F250, bring the dana60 forward a bit. Fab up some body mounts, get creative with the engine compartment and steering linkage coming out of the Explorer firewall. Then I spend 200 or so manhours rewiring, fabbing fuel and brake lines. Then I slap on some new tires (38s?) with 8lug rims and bingo....I go 4wheelin'.
This project doesnt have a 100% green light yet. I have a lot of messurments to take on the F250. If I'm satisfied with my tape messure, then its a go.
This project will obviously take time. My inital calculations for money are around $5000, although thats surely going to climb 20-30% (much like building a house). That cost includes the cost of the vehicle, but does not include tires/rims.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Its a Yakima roof rack. I used to run a 32 inch spare in it, but that was too much weight and the rails began to split. All I put up there now is the highlift, and camping gear like a tent and sleeping bags. bulky stuff thats light, so theres room for the heavy stuff inside on the floor, like an icechest full of beer.

Currently I'm trying to finish up the dash, wire in the arb switches and such, and I'm prepping the interior for the truck bedliner. As for the rear suspension, I think i'm going to take out the blocks and see how it looks. If its way lower than the front, i'll get some custom leaves made to give some lift. That way i can move the rear axle back 1.5 inches as well.

and to think that when i first met you you didn't want to lift it any higher or do anything more to it . i think it all started with me giving u the 6" coils and talking u into buying 33's and now look at it .

Something like that Clint.

Ok, the X250 needs to leave the shop for a bit. I've been taking up the spot for 4 months, need to give it over to someone else. Doesnt matter, i need more money to finish this little project.
Ok, I'm going to take her in and have some cutom leaves made that will give 4 inches of lift. Lots of thin leaves in the pack, no blocks. After I get the shocks intalled, I shouldn't have any trouble with axle wrap. Also, the stock ford steering pump took a crap. The plastic resivour (sp?too lazy to use spell check) cracked. Napa sells a Saginaw pump and the brackets to adapt it to my engine, so thats the way I'm going to go.
Hmm, what else? Fuel gauge and temp gauge do not work...I've got a slight fuel leak at the regulator...

Anyone have any tips on doing ring and pinions and lockers? My father and I are going to start at this portion of the project soon. The ARB book is fairly detailed, Im just looking for some personal insight.

Check, recheck, take your time, and have a set of dummy bearings to pull on and off while your setting your shims.

haven't touched the X in a little while. the 'shop' is being used to make a large oak computer desk. should be done this week, which means sunday i get to attempt R&P/locker installs. once thats done, i can drive it down and have some rear leaf springs made.
the stock f250 p/s pump took a crap, so i've ordered a saginaw pump. should be installed this weekend as well. i also went to the steel yard and got a big sheet of diamond plate to finish the bumpers, and some round stock for the tire carrier.
i was spending so much of my time on this project, i've enjoyed the recent time away. i have a social life again!!

Arsol,
Do you take donations for this project? I just happen to have a set of headers for a 300 inline 6 (headers were for a 300-i-6 in a f-150) collecting dust. They won't fit in the frame rails on my e-150 van.

They are clifford headers.. They are yours if you want them.. Last time I had them shipped I think it cost $25 or so for shipping.. I'm in Tucson, Az.

I can get them to phx so someone can take them to Moab if that will work.. (I won't make Moab)

~Mark

Hell yes! Send me an email and let me know how to send some money your way.

If anyone else is feeling generous, you can fab some rock sliders for me :)

Update:
Still working on the rear R&P/locker. Getting those damn bearings off the carrier is a pain. We've got the backlash set, today I'm getting the pinion set. I can't imagine how much more of a pain the airlocker is going to be to setup. We'll see...

How are you setting the Backlash before setting the pinion?

I've never done this before. I thought it would be easier to set the backlash, then set pinion depth. i was wrong. After getting the pinion depth set, i found i needed to change the backlash....I eventually figured it all out.
Carrier bearings were removed a total of 5 times. Didn't damage a single bearing....although i destroyed about 50 shims in the process. Just need fluid, and I'll test drive her with 4.88s. Then its on to the front.

That is Ok it is not the Easiest thing to Do... I just learned my self not that long ago I just wish I had all the tools to set gears my self.

Well I just got back today and your last post was 3 days ago. Where are you now? I was thinking of coming down and checking on you during this nice 3 day weekend. What's a good day for you?

Oh boy, i have sunday, monday AND tuesday off from work!!
Sunday I'm going to finish the dash, and get the arb compressor working. then we start at the front diff. Dunno how long that will take.
Kevin, come by whenever. I'll be here.

hmmmmmm
aparently my bumpers are too high and my tires stick out too far.

screw that

For registration? The cops? Or what??

The x came with me from AZ, and i never got around to getting WA plates on it. I thought i needed to have the vehicle inspected to get WA plates, so i went down to the state patrol inspection office. they laughed at me, and told me what was wrong. then they told me i dont have to have an inspection to get WA plates, i just have to pass emmissions.
we are emmsion certified at work, so i hooked up the machine. it passed with flying colors. only problem is emmission laws say that all origonal componants need to be present. i dont know if the emmsion folk inspect that sort of thing or not. we'll see.
i think i need to be-friend someone at the emmsion test station :)

When they say that all original components need to be present, they mean smog pumps, charcoal canisters, cats, mufflers, EGR valves, etc. You may or may not have any of these on the vehicle.

Make sure you give them the VIN of the F250 and not the Explorer, since everything but the body is the F250 and all of its emissions equipment is present (correct?). Then you can get it titled and registered as an F250.

I was going to try that Cory, but they register it by the body.

Back