Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid

I guess this is what happens when you take someone like me, add someone like Kevin (DWD), and throw in some beer!
Here's the plan. This weekend I'm looking at buying a '79 F250 longbed. It has a 300 straight 6, leaf sprung dana44 front, dana 60 rear. Basically, I'm going to put my Explorer body on the F250 frame.
First things first. I need to rebuild the 6banger, trans and axles. Then, I cut some of the frame out of the F250, bring the dana60 forward a bit. Fab up some body mounts, get creative with the engine compartment and steering linkage coming out of the Explorer firewall. Then I spend 200 or so manhours rewiring, fabbing fuel and brake lines. Then I slap on some new tires (38s?) with 8lug rims and bingo....I go 4wheelin'.
This project doesnt have a 100% green light yet. I have a lot of messurments to take on the F250. If I'm satisfied with my tape messure, then its a go.
This project will obviously take time. My inital calculations for money are around $5000, although thats surely going to climb 20-30% (much like building a house). That cost includes the cost of the vehicle, but does not include tires/rims.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been a few years. Thought I would post some pics to show what the old girl looks like these days.
And yes...she has been rode hard and put away wet.

It doesn't get much better mate. F*****' incredible work.:thumbsup:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Arsoul!?!? You last posted in this thread ---> 04-06-2003, 11:00 AM

Real good to see you're alive and so is the beast. I really like the parts of the cage that run along the front fenders, can you show what it ties into?
That last pic, the taillight reminds me of a Defender, what's it from?

Heres a picture that better shows the fender bars. They just tie into the front down piece.
ryan11.jpg

I made the tail lights from scratch. I got tired of buying tail light assemblies from the junk yard. Had some sheet metal laying around, some extra trailer lights that never got used and a case of beer. Haven't broke one since.

That's too cool for school... :thumbsup:

Very cool indeed. You see it and want to say hey that's an explorer! But thats no explorer. That's a beast.

It's been a few years. Thought I would post some pics to show what the old girl looks like these days.
And yes...she has been rode hard and put away wet.

mud.jpg

tahuya.jpg

Hey, these pics are from 2008! ! ! Get back out and wheel that Beast!

Paul
'91 Sport

Blast from the past! Good to see this thing is still out there getting beat on. :)

2008?!! Has it been that long?
I only got to take it out twice last year...once to the Oregon dunes and once to Manastash. But...now I have a Lance camper for the truck, so the girls won't complain about having to pee in the woods.

Anyone know if this thing is still around?
Doing my classic late night browsing. I checked out Arsoul's profile. It looks like he parted it out in 2012. What an amazing read, though.

Back