Safe to use both LCA 'ears' at same time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safe to use both LCA 'ears' at same time?

usapadyra

Reaction score
City, State
Ukiah, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 2WD
Maybe a silly question but want to check.

I've used the lower control arm jacking 'ears' one side at a time without issue plenty of times.

I'm just about to replace rotors / bearings and it would be helpful to have both wheels lifted in case I need steer over for easier access to certain places.

Can these ears be used both sides at the same time?

I suppose it's the same but I don't know if they are really designed for this, or just a quick lift on one side in case of roadside emergency etc

There's nothing in the manual saying not to...

IMG_1607.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did mine both same time. I had all 4 tires up even. Had the rotors and bearings off.

Edit: oh I see now the ears you mean. I put the jack under the torsion bar connection. I even jack the thing up with the cross member probably not the best spot tough.

I did mine both same time. I had all 4 tires up even. Had the rotors and bearings off.

Edit: oh I see now the ears you mean. I put the jack under the torsion bar connection. I even jack the thing up with the cross member probably not the best spot tough.

I've heard mixed things about using the front crossmember. Some say they do it all the time without issue, others swear it's not designed to take force in that direction and that they've seen damage occur from it.

To lift one wheel at the front I jack under the lower control arm (with some folded thick cardboard on the jack) then set a jackstand under the ear.

Just not sure if the weight distribution is different. Since with both at the same time 100% of the front weight is on those two tabs. Dunno if 50% is actually on one of them with a single side jacked, or if it ends up being less??

They always seemed iffy when I used them to swap summer rollers to winter rollers, and vice versa. I would trust them to jack up one side. I won’t trust them to jack up both sides to work underneath. Jack stand under the frame on each side…

I've used the lower control arm jacking 'ears' one side at a time without issue plenty of times.

I'm just about to replace rotors / bearings and it would be helpful to have both wheels lifted in case I need steer over for easier access to certain places.

I suppose it's the same but I don't know if they are really designed for this, or just a quick lift on one side in case of roadside emergency etc

View attachment 452551
The lifting ears are designated lifting (jacking) points in the ford service manual.
I believe the is a picture, either in the rear side compartment or under the rear seat ,where the rods are located.
You use both at the same time.
I use the lower control arms most of the time, because I use a floor jack or jack stands, for max height.

I've heard mixed things about using the front crossmember. Some say they do it all the time without issue, others swear it's not designed to take force in that direction and that they've seen damage occur from it.

To lift one wheel at the front I jack under the lower control arm (with some folded thick cardboard on the jack) then set a jackstand under the ear.

Just not sure if the weight distribution is different. Since with both at the same time 100% of the front weight is on those two tabs. Dunno if 50% is actually on one of them with a single side jacked, or if it ends up being less??
From my experience the cross member should not be used. I definitely have bent mine inward over the years from lifting / jack stand there. But I still use it cuz I pretty much forget each time.

I also use the center of the rear diff for Jacking back up.. like center of that pumpkin. And every time my brain is like “don’t do that.” But it’s always after I’ve already done it..

Jacking from the pumpkin/diff is a no-no. It’s all fun and games until your rear end starts leaking at the tube/pumpkin joint.

I’d imagine you can jack at the ears, but me personally? I’d want to support the truck using something more substantial. Not because I think the ears would break, but because I’d be worried of them slipping off the jack.

From my experience the cross member should not be used. I definitely have bent mine inward over the years from lifting / jack stand there. But I still use it cuz I pretty much forget each time.

I also use the center of the rear diff for Jacking back up.. like center of that pumpkin. And every time my brain is like “don’t do that.” But it’s always after I’ve already done it..
I also use the cross member. Still straight.

View attachment 452551
No
I've had a slide off and drop using both ears. Scary

Wow

For 25+ years I’ve been using the center of the crossmember with my floor jack and I use the lca ears on jack stands. I always chock a back tire

Never had an issue
If your floor jack has a 4” pad on it and you center it under the crossmember then you will never bend them. I out the jack about 2” to the drivers side because of the fuel tank, with it slightly off center it lifts the truck even on both sides. Jack stands are placed carefully under the ears as the jack is lowered so that the ear sits fully on the stand and the stand is flat on the ground. Chock rear tire and get to work.

What about the outward arc of travel as weight comes down on them?
One at a time yes, both no. Your results may vary but I use the frame jack points for stands.

Never an issue they sit right in the saddle on the jack stands

With rear tire chocked in park and brake set never had a slip not even close

Until this thread I thought we were all doing it this way hahaha. I use the center pumpkin in the rear also and put stands under the axle tubes, never a leak or issue. I even jack up the rear end with the front already on the stands… never a problem.

View attachment 452551
From service manual

IMG_20240516_131520.jpg

IMG_20240516_132036.jpg

Changes tires on the track yesterday, I was only changing tires not getting under the truck so it was ok being in the dirt.

I have never had an issue doing it like this. I am super careful before I climb under anything

You can see how well it sits in the saddle there is no arch trying to slide the truck backwards when it is supported like this

Not trying to debate, you do what is safe for you! I just find this topic interesting as those jack ears are so handy

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

Never an issue they sit right in the saddle on the jack stands

With rear tire chocked in park and brake set never had a slip not even close

Until this thread I thought we were all doing it this way hahaha. I use the center pumpkin in the rear also and put stands under the axle tubes, never a leak or issue. I even jack up the rear end with the front already on the stands… never a problem.
This makes me feel better lol. In highschool and when I did tires we used “lift points” on the frame for everything. And I have never once used those on my ex lol.

Since I have plenty of rust under mine, I'd never trust the control arm horns to hold a vehicle longer than it takes to put a jack stand under the frame on that side, then jack up the other side (with the CA horn if that was convenient) and then another jack stand under the frame.

Don’t use both. Ever. It’s NOT made for it. Those were intended for the factory Jack, and replacing a flat tire.

Use jackstands behind the front wheels on the frame. You’d never catch me using two factory jacks and nothing else to hold up a car, especially on those janky control arm hooks.

Also, if you’re gonna turn the wheels, start the engine first, or you’ll get air in your power steering system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don’t use both. Ever. It’s NOT made for it. Those were intended for the factory Jack, and replacing a flat tire.

Use jackstands behind the front wheels on the frame. You’d never catch me using two factory jacks and nothing else to hold up a car, especially on those janky control arm hooks.
Thank you! I was waiting for someone to say it
I had the jack fall off of 1 of those hooks that was the 1st and last time I ever used them.

Back