97 mountie jack points | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 mountie jack points

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
97 mountie with a V8. During my recent repair, I had to jack the truck up to make more room to work under it. I used the big front cross member (not enough to lift the tires, just raising the suspension). Havent had much issue doing it this way but when I need to remove a tire I find myself jacking under each LCA to do one side at a time which is annoying. is there a central point that will let me jack both tires off the ground at the same time? Or should I just lift one side, place a jack stand, and then jack the other side up and place a stand (seems like that method would put quite a bit of pressure on one jack stand while I lift the other side)? Ramps are great if I don't need to remove a tire but im trying to find a better solution for when I need to remove a tire

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I mean... the LCA jack point (just under the shock absorber) is the intended jack point for removing a tire.

I used the front cross member on my ranger all the time without any real trouble.

There are jack hooks on the lower control arms for lifting one wheel at a time (unless you use 2 jacks). The front cross member is not intended for lifting both front wheels off the ground at the same time, though many use it for this purpose it's not really strong enough and can be dented by floor jacks, especially the cheap floor jacks with small metal heads. If you must do this I suggest you use a piece of wood to spread the load over the cross member.

BTW: Be very careful using floor jacks on the jack hooks. The hooks are intended for use with the OE bottle jack, which lifts straight up. Floor jacks lift in an ark and can slip off jack hooks. Personally I prefer to lift using the points on each side of the frame (located behind the front tires) when needing to lift both sides. Never trust any jack and always you safety stands when working under a vehicle.

guess I might try the 2 jack method under the LCA, although that seems a tad difficult to get it even. If only they could invent a jack with two lifters and one handle

There are jack hooks on the lower control arms for lifting one wheel at a time (unless you use 2 jacks). The front cross member is not intended for lifting both front wheels off the ground at the same time, though many use it for this purpose it's not really strong enough and can be dented by floor jacks, especially the cheap floor jacks with small metal heads. If you must do this I suggest you use a piece of wood to spread the load over the cross member.

BTW: Be very careful using floor jacks on the jack hooks. The hooks are intended for use with the OE bottle jack, which lifts straight up. Floor jacks lift in an ark and can slip off jack hooks. Personally I prefer to lift using the points on each side of the frame (located behind the front tires) when needing to lift both sides. Never trust any jack and always you safety stands when working under a vehicle.
I almost always use the hooks for my jack stands when in the front, they hold the stand perfectly

actually this method ( ) seems good for when I don't need to take the tires off

I almost always use the hooks for my jack stands when in the front, they hold the stand perfectly

Um, yeah. Me too, until Just last Sunday the entire front of my truck fell off both 12 ton jack stands on front using those hooks. They slid when I raised the rear to start the lowering process. only raised the rear enough to remove tension on the rear jack stands.

I recommend the pads right behind the tires also.

I always use the frame to jack up the vehicle with aftermarket floor jack. I always put the jack far enough back of the front wheel to slide my jack stand. Same process for the rear wheels when I want to get to the suspension parts. If im not working on the suspension in the rear I will jack up the rear from the diff and just place the stands under the diff.

Back