Safe? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For one, Hub Centric is definatly a plus... BUT!!!
the problem most people have with wheel spacers is the enormous amount of extra force that is exerted on the already not so great factory wheel bearing assemblies. moving the wheel further away from the hub cause extra unecessary friction on the hubs.
but if you dont mind replacing hubs or bearings, either size wont matter
max

Okay thanks for the info. I didn't make it clear in the first post I'm only getting spacers if I rub on anything

I might be opting for spacers on my Paseo in the future. I'll only use ones that I know are good quality. One brand that I'll consider for sure is H&R.

With an Explorer, I would worry alot more about the higher added stress from the larger wheel and tire combo, so I would definately look for quality ones, and not the best bargain...

I am not a fan of these bc of the horror stories of the wheels falling off ..that being said if you are thinking about it only use good ones like spider trax or rough country and not those cheap made in china ones on eBay.

thanks for the info guys. i dont know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to wheel spacers lol. if i do need to get them can anyone point me to a quality set?

Ok so I'm getting 265/70/16 tires and keeping my stock rims .......
I really don't think you'll have problems with this tire
size on stock wheels. My 255x70x15's fit fine with all
kinds of extra room in the wheel wells and no rubbing
whatsoever. 265's will only be 5mm more on each side
which is about 1/4 inch.

There's no need for spacers, IMHO.:)

The BIG problem with spacers is that people cheap out and buy lug-centric spacers, instead of hub-centric spacers, it gets the job done, but after all the stress on the wheel studs, the snap, then you are in for a not so enjoyable ride. Other then not using the right ones, the only other problem was stated above, which is putting a greater strain on the hubs, and bearing assemblys.

Back