SAS pre-game plan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS pre-game plan

nssj2

Reaction score
'Tis the time, for a SAS that is. After being limited by my IFS and constant problems with this that and the other, I've had enough. At least that's my justification. So, first up is a parts list. Being as this will be my most advanced undertaking, I'd like some been there done that opinions.
In other words, what would you do if this was your truck?

I'd like to base the build off of this thread, as it's my ideal build set-up

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236289

Front:
Though leafs look easier, I would like to have the added flex of coils. Unless someone has a strong opinion otherwise.....

For now
78' Ford Dana 44 FW w/ extended radius arms
-regeared to 4.10
-upgraded u joints and axle shafs
-locker?
6" coils
12-14" travel shocks
'72 F-100 coil buckets
f150 shock towers
misc. suspension linkage
EB extended brake lines
new 2nd gen master cylinder
35" tires

Steering:
88-97 Toyota IFS Box (hydro tapped?)
95+/- Aerostar Steering linkage?

Rear:
8.8 will remain w/ adapter/spacer

QUESTIONS:

Best way to bypass the ABS module?
Best choice of steering linkage?

Sorry about all the reading, but i really appreciate any feedback as I respect a lot of peoples opinion on this forum :salute:.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the Toyota FJ-60 box. It's a decent choice for the V8 but I'm going to be swapping it for a Toyota IFS box. Here is why. With the FJ box installed where it is, I needed to convert my steering shaft to a triple joint setup. I think having that many joints contributes to added play in the steering. I think if I mount the IFS up under the front body mount, hitting it with one long solid shaft will really tighten up the steering.

I know my SAS thread is a long chit chat disaster, but there is some good info about the boxes in there.

What else....

I made a custom tranny crossmember. Most of the reason was probably because my Advanced Adapter setup really pushed the drivetrain back. But it's a simple x-member which you could easily build.

I really envy you. I'd love to be back at the begining where I could do this again. I was just a poor college kid when I did mine. I should have waited till now! :p:

My limited experience here-

Coils for sure. You want to be able to turn tight on the switchbacks and leafs will limit the turning radius

A transmission cross member--radius arm mount would be nice. Extend the radius arms for sure.

Keep the 8.8 and add spacers so you can keep disc brakes. I know you can disc brake a 9" but that is more money.

I used the Toyota FJ-60 box. It's a decent choice for the V8 but I'm going to be swapping it for a Toyota IFS box. Here is why. With the FJ box installed where it is, I needed to convert my steering shaft to a triple joint setup. I think having that many joints contributes to added play in the steering. I think if I mount the IFS up under the front body mount, hitting it with one long solid shaft will really tighten up the steering.

I know my SAS thread is a long chit chat disaster, but there is some good info about the boxes in there.

What else....

I made a custom tranny crossmember. Most of the reason was probably because my Advanced Adapter setup really pushed the drivetrain back. But it's a simple x-member which you could easily build.

I really envy you. I'd love to be back at the begining where I could do this again. I was just a poor college kid when I did mine. I should have waited till now! :p:

Well I'm but a fresh out of college mildly poor ex student lol. But I have to have a hobby, so here I am. I'll post a pic of the RA mount I've been looking at, I believe it's similar to what Stic-o has. I'd like the advantages of a long arm, and being on the same plane as my front d-shaft is a plus. Hum, any particular toyota you can get these from? I seem to be having a hard time picturing what you mean by under the body mount. On mine that's pretty far towards the front, but I like the idea of a straighter line on the linkage. I'll check that link and maybe I can see the light.

Jon, that's my major hesitation to the 9". Is the 8.8" still under the first gen you have? I've heard good and bad about spacers with big tires, so that's why the 9" is still in the running. And I just got the 4:10 axle and locked it so I'd rather keep the 8.8 if it won't break.

Update:
$200 later, I have a fully assembled hub to hub d44, and radius arms. It's a good day. Has anyone tried to use the bronco steering gear box in their SAS. I don't remember reading about it.....

Check 034x4's Ranger build thread for some good pics and info on the IFS box.

You may not even have the FJ60 box as a choice. It sits pretty much right between the tire and the frame. So with leaf springs it's find. But it may give you trouble with coils and coilovers. I can't think off the top of my head anyone who has done a V8 SAS with something other than leaf springs.

As far as the years of the IFS box... I'm not positive. Everyone on Pirate just calls them IFS boxes. :p: I think they're early 90's though.

Update:
$200 later, I have a fully assembled hub to hub d44, and radius arms. It's a good day. Has anyone tried to use the bronco steering gear box in their SAS. I don't remember reading about it.....

FSB? Heath has a FSB/F150 box on his V8.

Never heard of anyone using an EB box.

This is what Stic-o has, and it seems like a good idea
RA_mount2.jpg

Take the factory RA mounts, half them, and weld in a cross member. Unless I want to put a heim joint on the RA since I'll have to lengthen them anyways. So many possibilities, and I can't believe I'm finally about to do this haha.

Hum, the more I look at things, the more I think the steering will have to sit inside the frame, somehow. I like 034x4's setup, but that's right where the coil is going to sit. I thought I saw V-8 mountaineer a while back with coils, but for the life of me I cant find it. I have a nasty feeling about the steering.....

Section, that FJ60 set up you have does look like a winner. I was looking at the IFS box, and maybe looked at the wrong one, but the pitman arm looked really awkward. The 79' Bronco box looks promising

It might sit tall enough to put it far enough forward to clear coils, and have a mildly ok steering linkage. But after looking at my truck, no way in hell is a steering box going inside the frame lol. If this is the first v8 coil sas, then let me introduce myself as gunnie pig :D

My SAS'd Ranger is pretty much all 78 Bronco stuff. Pretty much a direct transplant from the FSB. Not exactly bolt on, but pretty much just cut everything off and welded on the bronco stuff.

As for the rear axle, for me it would depend on the donor vehicle. I mean if you have the whole donor truck then go with the 9". Someone will want a 4.10 8.8, recoup a little money that way. Since you are most likely going to re-gear anyway for larger tires. Personally I'm not a big fan of the wheel spacers for the rear/different back spacing for the front. Especially since you would most likely have to carry 2 spares then. A front and a back.

My SAS'd Ranger is pretty much all 78 Bronco stuff. Pretty much a direct transplant from the FSB. Not exactly bolt on, but pretty much just cut everything off and welded on the bronco stuff.

No kiddin? That's my goal, to use as much bronco stuff as possible, because they're as common as telephone poles here. And the guy I'm getting the axle from has a buy more-pay less motto. Do you have a picture of your steering box mounted with the coil buckets? Kinda want to see what I'm up against here.

And on the 9", the spring seats will need to be moved correct?

i would like to see sum pictures to because i am about to start the same thing on my mounty.and i have tons of 79 bronco parts and the more of them i can use the less money i have spen the haapier the wife will be

Here is my late 70's 4x4 Ford steering box on the outside of the frame. I haven't got to do much testing, but so far it looks good.
th_driversidecoil.jpg

I have also done the conversion that puts the pitman arm towards the rear instead of the front. Link for that conversion http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml I also drilled and tapped it for hydro-assist. Hope this helps.

^^ Thanks for the links! That answered a lot. So to make sure, the 4x4 with with the pitman facing the rear, will turn opposite of what I want. That can be solved by either using the 4x2 box (inner frame mount sadly), or the 4x4 box with the 4x2 innerds. And for now, hydro assist is a bit overkill and over budget. But I'm glad to know I can do it later with minimal modification. Yet another reason I'm going with bronco parts, future flexibility. Gotta say, so far sounds/looks like you have a good setup :thumbsup:

EDIT:: had it backwards

I'm not a huge Toyota fan or anything but, the Toyota is just as easy, if not easier to tap for hydro. Plus, the box is about 70% as large which will save valuable space. I had one of the FSB boxes but ended up not using it because of the size (pics in my thread).

There are some pics of the Ranger in my registry, not sure if there's anything that will help though. My steering box is outside the frame though, i know that much. And its an fsb box. Like Section said though, its pretty massive. Actually the only thing on the Ranger thats original is the frame and body, lol. The drivetrain is from an 85 F250.

section- your build is 50 something pages, so its taking me some time to look through lol, but great info! So the little toyota box can hold up to turning a dana 44 with 37s (eventually)? If you say it can, then I'm sold. Is this the IFS box you're referring to?

mikefoxsteering.jpg

its off of 88-95 trucks, and looks pretty slick.

elessar- so i noticed lol, distributer and a carb under a ranger. How did you get that to fit??

Yeah, I'm running 37s with mine. Those crazy Toyota guys run 38s+ all day long. :cool: check the For Sale section on Pirate. I see them there all the time for $80-$100. Already tapped ones for $150ish.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not use a Gen 1 EX box? I like the way mine is tucked inside the frame. Or is it because of the V-8 there is no room??

Back