SAS pre-game plan | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAS pre-game plan

No you wont need histeer if you go with coils. If you were doing leafs it would be needed. Now histeer does help with coils by allowing you to get the trac bar higher and flatter. Both of these will help with handling. If you decide to do it later you have to redo your trac bar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok thanks! I think I have one last question before I open up the wallet. So if I cut down this FW d44 6", I would be able to use factory spec Early Bronco axle shafts, right? I'd like to avoid the custom route, as custom is another word for $.

hey what's this part called again?

001.jpg

:D:D:D

a screaming deal on an entire front end. Coil buckets, shock towers, everything you see here, and this.......

002.jpg

let the good times roll!

Don't cut the axle down leave it full width. Look at stic-os build. even with full width axles it doesnt look to wide.

Don't cut the axle down leave it full width. Look at stic-os build. even with full width axles it doesnt look to wide.

I second that.

So I have a thought. Has anyone tried to mount the F-150 leaf springs outside the frame, like the Rangers? I like the idea of added flex, and I like the idea of essentially transplanting the rear of an F-150 into the Mercury. Plus I can get the mounts welded up without tearing anything out, so it's convenient as well.

I think its easier to move the perches on the axle since thats only two parts that need to be worked on. If you move the perches outboard, then that means redoing 4 things - the two front leaf spring hangers and the two shackles in the rear.

I think its easier to move the perches on the axle since thats only two parts that need to be worked on. If you move the perches outboard, then that means redoing 4 things - the two front leaf spring hangers and the two shackles in the rear.

I definitely agree it's easier, but my current dilemma with doing that is I will have a ridiculous amount of lift in the rear, since I have the 4" superlift springs with the warrior shackles. There's a member who recently put the ford 9.75 under the same setup I have, and it's waaay more lift then I want. If I have to get new leafs and new shackles, why not just move the mounts outboard to utilize the F150 leafs? I'm at the point of this project where I might as well look the other way when I swipe the credit card, and do it right the first time. Hence the 4340 axle shafts on the way lol.

I'd put those 4" superlift springs up for sale (either on the forum, or somewhere else like CraigsList or even Ebay). Then revert back to a pair of stock springs. But also on the other hand, I'm sure you can make the outboard thing work - just takes time.

Yeah, i should be able to recoup some money for the superlift. So you don't think the outside mounts would be worth the trouble? I trust the man with the home made rock crawler :thumbsup:

Well to me, it just seems like its going to be a lot of work because you are probably going to have to go with an inverted shackle setup (like some Rangers) in order to counter the amount of lift you are trying to get rid of (see image below). Which also means you might need to cut a pair of holes on the floor to clear the shackle/leaves. And doing all of this probably means the new axle's stock pinion angle is incorrect which means you'll either have to put some wedges between the leaf spring and the axle's spring perch, or cut the spring perch anyway and weld on new ones at the proper angle.

64-leafs-2.jpg

Dont outboard them... its too much trouble when you could just sell the Superlifts and get a junkyard pack.

Besides, you will be losing articulation by moving the leaves outward.

Thanks IZ for the picture, that's exactly what I was hoping to see. Wow, you weren't kidding that it's a PITA. And James, thank you for correcting my misinformation about the articulation. Time to find some un-sagging 'sploder leafs.

I have a nice set you can have from a 2005 Sp-trac which are the same size, but the shipping might kill you. Let me know, my zip is 33184.:cool:

Officially underway. Check out the build thread here

Back