• Register Today It's free!

SAS suggestoins?

jsfordboy02

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
I have a ’96 Explorer sport, auto. I apparently have way to much free time to sit and think and now Im wondering what would be the best SAS for this thing. I don’t do any major off-roading just headed to the woods for hunting. Besides having to take care of the transfer case shifter and other misc electronics, ect, what is the best SAS? Maybe something like a YJ leaf spring set up? Some welding and minor fab isn’t a problem. Does anyone sell a kit? Jeffs Bronco Grave yard has them for BII’s but not Explorers. The wife just got a 2000 Grand Cherokee and I don’t like that she has a solid front axle and I don’t haha. I aleady cranked the torsion bars and added shackles with 31’s. Thinking I would sas it and do a spring over in the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t do any major off-roading just headed to the woods for hunting.

You might want to ask yourself: Do you really need a solid axle for that?

I obviously can't know what kind of terrain you're trying to get through in your neck of the woods, but unless you're having some issues getting around (or are breaking things), I wouldn't be quite ready to jump on the SAS bandwagon yet.

Whatever the case, a Dana30 (assuming that's what you're thinking in asking about a YJ setup) is close to as worthless an axle as they come (yes, I know the GC has one, it's also a significantly lighter vehicle too, lacking a frame, and yet the Jeep guys still can't get rid of them fast enough). Though it would have more flex than your IFS, it won't be as strong (particularly the housing itself being weaker). I'd be looking at a Dana44 of some sort for a swap going under a big heavy Explorer.

FWIW there is a also dedicated SAS section on the site here you might want to take a look through as well, see what others have done. ;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

P.s., I seem to remember reading James Duff was tossing some thought toward making a SAS kit for A-arm IFS RBVs, you might shoot them an email and see if anything's begun to materialize at all (An A-arm IFS > SA swap kit is something I would really like to see myself).

Well obviously I dont need a solid front axle to go hunting, ever heard the saying "leave well enough alone"? I havent. I know a lot about a lot but I dont know a lot about axles. Is there anything a dana 44 came on that would be the right width for the explorer? I saw the registry but they said it was only for finished projects.

there are a bunch of websites that sell sas kits that include all the bits and pieces that you would need to go on a scavenger hunt for or need to make yourself. start with 4wheelparts.com.

Finished projects or not, there certainly should be a huge wealth of ideas and info that can be had just by browsing around through there (or by asking the owner of one you like about what he did on his) ;) . There a ton of stuff in it's 'parent' forum too, which you're also free to post Qs there.

As for axle sources, '80s Jeep Wagoneers are popular D44 donors, as are '70s F-150s (can be cut narrower pretty easy if you don't want the full f-150 width).
Early Bronco axles are another possible candidate, though they are getting pretty scarce (and don't offer much over the D30s unless you put aftermarket shafts into them).

Ok so a D44 out of a wagoneer sounds like the best idea. BTW what front axles were under the regular cherokee's? What are the thoughts on the steering components and leaf springs on those wagoneers? I suppose if I did spring over on that for the front and spring over on the rear Id be sittin about even????

Also what is the best/easiest transfer case solution? T-cast from an early '90's Explorer/Ranger with electric shift 2, 4hi, 4low? Or am I going to have to cut up my floor boards for a shifter? I assume because I have auto 4 wheel drive already I cant use my existing case because it used sensor in the front axle to engage. Correct?

Actually the front axle has no sensors, the front axle on that is always locked in. Only the tcase engages for 4wd.

Actually the front axle has no sensors, the front axle on that is always locked in. Only the tcase engages for 4wd.

I guess that does make sense. Sensor in rear axle? How does the T-case know to kick into 4wheel while in the auto 4x4 mode? Something has to know that the rear wheels are slipping.

Wow, im sorry, i blew that. There are the wheel speed sensors for the abs on the front axle. The abs module monitors the wheel speed on the rear axle and both front wheels. The abs module and 4x4 module are networked together (as well as other modules), so they all share information with each other. So if the abs module sees a difference in speed between the front and the rear, the 4x4 module will see this and engage the 4x4. Again, i apologize for my blunder.

So I guess that theoretically if you got a solid front axle that had ABS you could wire everything back together and the 4 wheel drive would work like the factory independent. Has anyone done it like this? My whole goal with this is to build my Explorer how Ford Should have, solid front axle, but with all the "creature comforts" so to speak, basically a little better Ford version of the Cherokee.

basically a little better Ford version of the Cherokee.

Solid axle or not, you're already way ahead of the Cherokee.

I've been keeping my eye open for a local Wagoneer axle at a good price (or the whole vehicle:D) for the day I can finally swap over. All the information you'll need is in the SAS thread. Here's where I would start if I was you:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237376

Back