• Register Today It's free!

Scratch made shifter?

Doubt Incarnate

Reaction score
City, State
"Franktucky", Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I'm working on an old cavalier, the old shifter is sort-of fubar, and i've got a newer model shifter form the bone yard, needless to say they are different. too different, but still the motions are correct. the mounting bases are too different to just bolt in.

What are your thoughts on using fiberglass or even carbon fiber to make a new base and frame to put the late model shifter parts on? as far as strength goes, lets just think about how much force it takes to wreck a boats hull... and i'm not a big guy. would it be as strong or would i need to take shapes and the like into consideration? would i really need to worry about its strength?

sometimes it just looks like they over design certain parts and cut corners on others. does a base for a floor shifter really need to be 1/8" thick hard a** steel? i know if you are aggressive or competitive you can beat on it but is it really taking that much of a beating to justify that kind of metal?

throw me some ideas on construction. i'll try to get some pics of the parts and a drawing of what i want to try to do.

I like the way you think. I'm not that well versed in fiberglass, but I have used my share in patching some large holes lol. Could you use some wood, maybe 3/16 or 1/4" and then laminate over it with fiberglass or carbon fiber :dunno:. BTW, I've never done any carbon fiber. Is it about the same application as Fiberglass cloth? Where do you get it?

If you do make your own base, please post some pics. Also if it shifts smooth and your not banging gears, sort to speak. And driving like you got a fish bowl on your seat...I would think it would be fine.

http://www.fibreglast.com/

theres a link to a site i found for supplies. i'm fairly certain that carbon fiber is exactly like working fiberglass. i definatley want to try this, i think i can actually fix the old shifter but as far as aftermarket goes there arent any goodies for the old one, where as the newer model has a short throw kit on the market. so i think making a *******ized hybrid would be the best option.

Back