Sea Foam Insertion Point | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea Foam Insertion Point

Billy177 said:
the thing is at idle there is barely any air going through the throttle body it is almost completely closed

If you try to put seafoam into the TB at idle, the engine will most likely die.
The PCV inlet is behind the Throttle plate, thus if you give the engine the needed extra throttle to keep it running, you have plenty of airflow, front to back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

must be different on a sporttrac my pcv is in the back of the manifold right by the computer

I have always added Sea Foam through the brake booster vacuum line, but am always seeking a possibly better way .

I have been pondering Billy’s ( Billy 117 ) incretion method and decided to give it a go this morning.

I cut a length of fuel line ( 3/8”) and fitted a funnel in one end and a smaller piece of hose ( that would fit in the hard plastic tube ) in the other. I disconnected the NAF and removed the hard plastic tube from the intake tube. Next, I cranked the engine. Then I inserted the hose into hard plastic tube and slowly poured in the Sea Foam. The engine ran rough and stumbled during the addition of the Sea Foam as well as belched out copious white smoke from the tail pipe. After using the whole can of Sea Foam, I shut down the engine.

I left the engine off for 15 minutes. During this wait I reconnected the MAF and the hard plastic tube into the intake tube.

After restarting the engine, profuse white smoke poured out of the exhaust. I took the truck for a ride through the neighborhood; it constantly produced the cloud of smoke ( the neighbors thought the County was fogging for skeeters ). After about 10 minutes the smoke production ceased.

As usual after a Sea Foam treatment the truck ran great. Billy’s method of inserting Sea Foam is easier than the previous method that I had used ( brake booster line ) and I shall use it in the future.

Does it “work” better than the other method? I have no clue. The smoke generation was similar.

Thanks Billy.

Attachments

• DSC00760.jpg
    DSC00760.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,231
  • DSC00762.jpg
    DSC00762.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,241

Thanks for the post Al. I also want to try Billy's method which I will try to get to this weekend.

Lee

i just seafoamed today through the BB line.

After the second startup the truck smoked like crazy. I let it idle for about 10 minutes and the smoke didn't even start to clear. I drove slowly around the block and the smoke was twice as bad, it was a combo of white and blue smoke, i got back home and let it idle for about 5 more minutes and the smoke finally cleared. I haven't taken teh truck for a good drive yet, but i will in a short while

Seafoam in My SOHC

I ran seafoam today in my SOHC using Billy177's method as outlined by Aldive. I ran the rubber hose as far into the IAC tube as I could and hung the funnel end off my hood latch with some wire. This way I could pour with one hand and operate the throttle as needed with the other to keep her running. The vacuum thru the IAC tube (which is hard plastic and not metal as I had originally thought) sucked the seafoam right in. Waited 15 minutes reattached the MAF connector, reinserted the IAC tube to the intake and was 'good to go'. Got exactly the same results as Aldive in regard to the sputtering and 10 minute exhaust smoking.

Would recommend this method for the SOHC. Many thanks to Billy177 and Aldive for the info.

Lee

I have a 5.0 that just hit 100k and I am curious about this Seafoam product sinc eI have never used it before. I am going to give it a try, hopefully this wekend or sometime very soon to see what it does to my 5.0. I think, after some research, I'll try the PCV valve to have the seafoam enter the engine. We'll see what happens, as for results I'll keep you posted. If you have any recommendations for another 5.0 entry point, let me know.

UPDATE: After doing the DPFE, cleaning the MAF sensor and the SeaFoam I have not had a check engine light now for a month so that have fixed my problem. YEA!!

I am also a firm believer in Sea Foam. I ran it quite often on my 88 gmc van w/ 350. I blew the had gaskets on the van so off came the heads, guess what squeaky clean in there-valves, piston heads, everything. I usually fed it in thru the PCV. Also while you're changing the fuel filter pour it in the filter for a powered injector cleaning!

Why not put the sea-foam into a spray bottle ( like windex ) and simply
" fog " it into the intake while holding the butterfly open ( reving the engin at about 2000 rpm? )

you should get pleanty of air flow going to all the cylinders.

So do i need to disconnect the MAF and my intake tube from the TB to run seafoam? or can i just leave them connected?

thanks.

First SeaFoam - Through PCV Hose

I did my first SeaFoam treatment last night on my '00 with a OHV. I ran it through the PCV hose, as the TB hose was a little harder to get to. My X had 63k on it, but just started to knock going up hills on the highway.

Went off without a hitch, smoked like it was supposed to and ran smooth after.

Anyone have a answer to my question? i really wanna try this but don't wanna run the risk of a #### up cause my ex has almost 80K on it.

ions said:
So do i need to disconnect the MAF and my intake tube from the TB to run seafoam? or can i just leave them connected?

thanks.

Ions:

If you are using the Billy177 IAC tube method to seafoam, it should not be necessary to disco the intake tube from the TB. I did however, disco the connector from the MAF. Billy177 posted a pic with a pointer to the SOHC IAC tube on page 4 of this thread. This is the way my 98 SOHC looks except for the Mac intake. The IAC tube fits into a rubber grommet in the Mac. Not sure if your 2001 SOHC is exactly the same as the earlier versions but you should be able to locate the IAC tube and use a funnel and hose as Aldive outlined.

Lee

What has worked best for me is to take a long piece of 3/8 fuel line and cut it in half. Then I connect each end of the 3/8 hose to a T, then I connect a 1/4 vaccum hose to the middle of the T. I then take the 3/8 hose and connect each end of the hose to each side of the intake where the PVC hoses connect. Then take the 1/4 hose and put it into the can of seafoam, start the engine and watch the seafoam do it's work. I can control all this from the inside of my X while keeping my foot on the gas pedal to keep from hydrolocking the engine. Works perfect everytime with excellent results.

Bye the way, you should leave the truck over night to let the seafoam soak on the pistons and valves.

Sea Foamed the Entire Block!!!

Well after this fine product finally reached stores locally, and after much reading every entire post on this board about this product, I gave-er a try.

I swear I smoked showed the entire block on my street :D while my landlord watched...hehe...

I tried the throttle body method, and found it very easy to work with. Also with this said, the throttle is right there for you to manipulate.

At first after the process, I had thrown a check engine...uh oh...but realized the MAS connector was unplugged while I cleared the smoke and re-set the computer, all was good. I thought I should give it a second cleaning right after a good drive and the first cleaning. I found just as much smoke as the first time doing this.

Result....pleased owner, no engine ping, smooth performance...and one heck of a good smoke show.

Just wanted to say.....Thanks!!! Everyone here for your support!

Sea Foam rocks!!!

J

I just tried it last weekend via the deep creep (spray seafoam) tb insert method. Used 1/2 the can, let it sit for 15 min and then took her for a drive. Very little smoke was the result. Repeated the process w/ the rest of the can and no smoke. I only have 45k on my X so there might not be that much carbon in it. Did I not let it sit long enough?

Well i did this the other day and was very disappointed :( no white smoke, no change in rough idle altho for the first like 3 starts it started up right away unlike the rough starts i had before but its back to normal now only have about 80K on the truck and i tried the PCV inlet via a little gadget spindlecore made for his truck.

By the way what happen to Spindlecore? i see he got banned for something anyone know what for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did it for the first time about two weeks ago. Lot's of white smoke and the ticking valves has gone away.

Two keys I found: 1) put it in fast. 2) Cut the engine off before it runs through

I put a small funnel in the PCV hose and poured about 5 ounces of SeaFoam. I had a buddy at the has and had him cut power as I ran the last of the SeaFoam through the engine. I think if you keep the engine running after you dump the stuff in it will all go out the exhaust. Another note, I ran it through pretty quickly, it took less than 30 seconds to dump the 5 ounces.

I let it sit about 5 or 10 minutes and it smoked like a champ. I've since ran it through about everything I own with an engine. The stuff is amazing.

Back