• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam Question

ExpoSittinLow

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I just got done putting seafoam in my 93' X . I put 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil/ and the I fed 1/3 in the brake boster line. I let it sit for 5 min and went to start it, and no smoke came out. Did I do something wrong, the guy at napa told me put a 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the and brake boster line.

I was wondering if any of you guys put this stuff in and if it didn't make your truck smoke.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ExpoSittinLow said:
I just got done putting seafoam in my 93' X . I put 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil/ and the I fed 1/3 in the brake boster line. I let it sit for 5 min and went to start it, and no smoke came out. Did I do something wrong, the guy at napa told me put a 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the and brake boster line.

I was wondering if any of you guys put this stuff in and if it didn't make your truck smoke.

Thanks.

I am a believer in Sea Foam and use it regularly.

However, I would never put anything into my oil.

Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120853&highlight=sea+foam

Nor Mine, but it do's smooth the engine out some, maybe 1/3 can in the intake is not enough.
Would not leave it in the oil to long,those guys at NAPA can be wrong:)

What exactly is this Seafoam made of and why are all of you putting it in your engines? I've never even heard of it until I found this forum and it seems to be the popular "in thing" on this site to use. I don't understand why you're all putting this in your trucks? I saw one post where a fellow said he ran it through his motor every 8k to cure hesitation, pinging, and restore lost power. I'm thinking there's something else wrong if you have those kind of problems every 8k??

I'm not bashing it, just asking. I have two Rangers, one with well over 200k, and the other at 162k. Both run like champs and I drive them hard. I never do anything but regular maintenance, frequent oil changes, filters (oil, air, fuel), plugs etc. I don't understand why everyone else is having all these problems?

Thanks
Malcolm

More of a preventative maint thing, do believe it holds carbon deposits down, ck out seafoams site, google it

I just went out and drove it again. Still no smoke but it seems to have a little better pick up.

I have yet to see any vehicle that used Sea Foamnot produce the infamous white smoke.

aldive said:
I have yet to see any vehicle that used Sea Foamnot produce the infamous white smoke.
Al
3 on this thread did not, what are we doing wrong?

I wouldn't put Sea Foam in the engine oil, unless you are soon going to change it (like within 50 miles). The point of it in there is to get pumped around and get sludge etc off of the surfaces inside.

I honestly don't know either way of bad effects of running it regularly in the oil. I don't think I would though because it's really thin, and with higher milage motors, would stir up the sludge. It would end up in the filter, but don't know if there's a risk of clogging, you know.

Agreed, anyone else see the infamous white smoke?

I am planning on changing the oil on Sunday, and I'm not going to drive it tomorrow, so its just gonna sit in the garage, till Sunday

spindlecone said:
Agreed, anyone else see the infamous white smoke?

Hate to get in the middle of this but I've only run seafoam twice. The first time thru the brake booster and the second time thru the IAC tube. Both times I got a healthy amount of white smoke.

seafoam cleaner

I just finished running seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line. I am suprised my neighbors didnt have the firemen out here!!:) Smoke everywhere. Mostly white and a little blue. Went for a ride and drove it fast and blew it all out of the system. Start truck let the engine drink the seafoam. Shut engine for 5 minutes and start it up. Rev it up and get all the stuff out of the engine. You should see it coming out! Good Luck...

Maybe the smoke thing has something to do with your mileage,I started using seafoam at 5K miles, am at 30K now, no smoke

i used it in my ex around 100K and saw PLENTY of smoke.

i recently put some through my tbird, around the same mileage, and didnt see any at all...
i've started using deep creep, since it's seafoam in an aerosol can.
it's easier to get into the intake, but it's more difficult to fill up the engine and shut it off to set for a few minutes.
for a smoke show and deep cleaning, i recommend the can, for regular maintenance, the deep creep is much easier.

I used a can at 240000kms and no white smoke at all. Then again there is no carbon on the plugs either.

So perhaps those with alot of carbon buildup get more smoke, if seafoam loosens up carbon and it gets combusted and burned, do's it produce white smoke?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suspect a lot has to do with how the vehicle was driven. Short trips or highway driving. Was the engine kept in good state of tune, etc.

Back