seafoam with no smoke? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seafoam with no smoke?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I just got a can of seafoam, thought id try it out. so with my car all warmed up, i took off the vaccum hose for the cruise control (couldnt get the brake booster line off) and i opened the can, and i slowly dipped the cruise control hose into the can so that the vacuum would suck it on, til the car would almost die, then i took the hose out of the can. i put prob around 1/2 can into the engine. there was a little white smoke, but not too bad, certainly not more than would be expected from a cold car on a cold day (even though its like 60 today) that went on for like 20 seconds. so i turned off the car, added the rest of the seafoam to the crankcase and the gas tank and waited five minutes and then started it back up. there was no smoke or anything, unlike huge billowing clouds of smoke that im reading from other posts. i drove it home from the frat house (i live in an apt so i couldnt do it in my garage) prob about 5 miles and i tried WOT and nothing, just like before. did i do something wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, you did nothing wrong.

It depends how quickly you pour how much smoke you get I have found, and how much of the can you use.

EDIT:

I know I saw how much he posted he used :)
hahaha
What I mean is how much of the can you use and how quickly you let it suck it up, also where you put it in the intake.

Obviously if you go real slow you will see less smoke because more is getting burned up in the combustion chamber. I have used Sea Foam on many different engines, each time a different amount of smoke. The first time I tired it it poured out the tailpipe!!!

There was someone else who reported no smoke either from what I read. I don't know too much about it other than just looking forward to doing it myself.

mine didn't smoke real badly either and i drove around for about 15 minutes. the next time i started the truck (about 3 hrs later) it smoked like crazy for the first 2 miles or so.

I didn't think my 97 would ever stop smoking. I don't know how much suction you get from the cruise. I used the brake booster and it suck up about 3/4 of the can in like 5 seconds. Smoked heavily for 15 min. So that supports 410's post...

Sad thing is I never noticed a difference after I did it...

Poured mine through one of the PVC valve hoses going into the intake. At first there was no smoke after pouring 1/2 the bottle into the intake. Left it over night and started it up that next morning and it smoked like a three alarm fire. Neighbors even called the fire department and got one hell of a lecture from them.

you can get the brake booster line off when the engine is off, there is prob too much vaccum on it with the engine running. mine would stall with this off so i used the cap off of gearoil as a funnel. and shoved that into the line. took three cans to get the engine running really good. on the third can i let it sit overnight and fired it in the morning. after it blew all the smoke out the engine ran perfectly just like it was brand new.

i also never thought of rushower traffic cause i stopped most of the cars behind be until the smoke cleared:D

i put seafoam in today,

i filled a small jar up, so i could see how fast the fluid was going in,

used a little over half the can, I put it in through the brake booster line and it didn't choke off, so i shut if off quick and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes,
then when i started it it blew bluish smoke out for about 10 minutes, then i took it for a drive and it eventually died down,

i plan on doing this to my car tomorrow

After using Seafoam does one change their oil?
It would seem that it could contaminate the oil by the blowby. It also would seem that seafoam is just a can of solvents....and having that said, one should change the oil afterwards.....

????

it shouldn't affect the oil really, because on the can it also says that you may add seafoam to the crankcase to help clean it out

I didn't get any smoke at all. I poured about half a can very slowly into the brake booster line.

that is why the faster you pour the more it smokes, and the better it works i think

That doesn't make any sense. Are you talking based on facts or just talking out of your ass? Pouring too fast will cause the engine to die.

i pour just enough that it does not stall when it is about to stall i just let it recover. the first time i did it it dodn't smoke that much and i didn't notice any real improvement. the second time i let it suck up the entire can very fast and let it sit overnight. and it made a huge difference

Back