Seafoam.....My experience, HELP !! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam.....My experience, HELP !!

Here is what another poster stated in a previous thread. I'm hoping to try it this weekend:

###Seafoam Proceedure####

A 5.0 is not the same as a V-6 I can't find a vacum line. Here's what you need to do.
1. Remove the air temperature sensor from the air intake hose, located in front of the throttle body.
2. Find a piece of flexible hose or tubing 6" to 12". 12" or longer works better
3. Buy a ketchup condiment dispenser with cone tip ( the kind you see at the hot dog vendor) Pour the seafoam into the dispenser
4. Remove the plastic throttle linkage cover
5. Start the engine it should idle without the sensor
6. Insert the tip of the dispenser into the tube/hose
7. Insert the tube/hose into the open air temperature hole and squeeze while you manually adjust the idle to keep the engine from stalling.

I did it today, lots of gray smoke lasted about 15 min. The X idles better and doesn't have as much hesitation when accellarating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
Please explain the "better" results.

Well, al, the jury is still out on the BB vs. TB line...but the TB vac port seems to have been better:

I always do the same procedure for a seafoam app. It involves running on the interstate for 15 minutes in 4th gear to really burn carbon off.

Seafoam thru brake booster line and 15 minutes of 3000+ rpm operation = 90% of ping eliminated. Still some ping in partial throttle under load.

Seafoam thru TB vac port and 15 minutes of 3000+ rpm operation = 100% of ping eliminated in all throttle/load conditions.

Long-term, I will just have to see. It's still too early to see how it has affected mileage. Power of the truck is better. And I cannot get it to ping at all. If it starts to ping under partial throttle 3 months from now, I may have a different opinion about TB vs. BB line.

I suggest to simply put Sea Foam into an empty Windex etc bottle, remove the air intake hose, and spray it in. No confusion with which vacuum hose, etc.

F14CRAZY said:
I suggest to simply put Sea Foam into an empty Windex etc bottle, remove the air intake hose, and spray it in. No confusion with which vacuum hose, etc.

What do you base this on? Have you tried this yourself? I think at best this would just be a waste of a can of Seafoam.

In a Windex bottle? Why not a 409 bottle? JK, I put mine in a measuring cup and let it suck the Seafoam through. I wouldn't spray it in, wouldn't be able to spray enough to equal it sucking from a cup.

next time i'm gonna try the Seafoam Deep Creep,

i guess you just spray it right into the Throttle body and let it sit and then start it up and its suppose to get the same results but its easier,

you can also use it to clean parts and what not

You have to do it while its running or you run the risk of hydro locking your engine (P.I.A) to fix. after its all in you turn it off for 5 min then start it up and go for a ride.

bluevolume said:
What do you base this on? Have you tried this yourself? I think at best this would just be a waste of a can of Seafoam.

Uh, I don't know. I have done it myself with good results and plenty of smoke. It makes sense to me because you're running Foam through the throttle body, and from there it will reach the rest of the top end of the engine. I'm using logic in car mechanics to calculate this one. If someone has more technical knowledge on our engines than I do and thinks differently, then I will respectfully stand down.

As far as the amount going in, I can spray enough at idle to stall the engine if I wanted to.

i am dump what is the tb and where do you find it
thanks

F14CRAZY said:

A 5.0 is not the same as a V-6 I can't find a vacum line. Here's what you need to do.
1. Remove the air temperature sensor from the air intake hose, located in front of the throttle body.
2. Find a piece of flexible hose or tubing 6" to 12". 12" or longer works better
3. Buy a ketchup condiment dispenser with cone tip ( the kind you see at the hot dog vendor) Pour the seafoam into the dispenser
7. Insert the tube/hose into the open air temperature hole and squeeze while you manually adjust the idle to keep the engine from stalling.

6cyl owners THERE IS NO VACUM TUBE ON THE 5.0L THROTTLE BODY. IF THERE IS CAN YOU PLEASE FIND IT AND POINT US 5.0's IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SPTA97 do a posting for me after you do it my way.

I used the PCV hose and got TONS of somke. :-D
I think it helped some but I had a bad valve and cracked head when I did it so I probably didn't get the full effect.
I may do it again after awhile now that that's all fixed.

tb = throttle body. If you use the TB vac port, you will need to buy a flexible tube about 2' long and 1/8" inner diameter to use to suck in the sea foam.

If you use the BB line, you don't need any tubing.

Regarding 5.0's, I will have to check but I always thought 5.0 TB's had a vac port hidden underneath them. Now ya got me interested.

jvsnowden said:

6cyl owners THERE IS NO VACUM TUBE ON THE 5.0L THROTTLE BODY. IF THERE IS CAN YOU PLEASE FIND IT AND POINT US 5.0's IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SPTA97 do a posting for me after you do it my way.

I'm going to try it this weekend. I'm thinking of where I'm going to get one of those plastic ketchup bottles?

huskyfan23 said:
In a Windex bottle? Why not a 409 bottle? JK, I put mine in a measuring cup and let it suck the Seafoam through. I wouldn't spray it in, wouldn't be able to spray enough to equal it sucking from a cup.

Well just thinking about the whole process I assume they (SeaFoam) wants you to keep the engine running for 2 reasons. 1) to ensure you don't over saturate the manifold and hydrolock the engine and 2) to help atomize/distribute the SeaFoam to the valves/areas that need it. As such it would make sense that you feed in the SeaFoam as fast as you can and immediately kill the engine to keep as much of it on the valves as possible. To accomplish this you can just over feed the SeaFoam (when nearing the end of the bottle) purposely stalling the engine.

How do you fix a hydrolock anyway? I had a T-Maxx that you would loosen the glow plug then crank it to shoot out the fuel - is it the same thing on a real car?

Yes...you remove all the spark plugs and crank it over to expel the fluid from the cylinders. A cylinder only has room/volume for a limited amount of fluid and the rest is air space. If the cylinder where to fill up will too much fluid (fluid is NON compressible) the piston would not be able to compress it, thus preventing the engine from cranking over (potentially causing major damage).

DeRocha said:
Yes...you remove all the spark plugs and crank it over to expel the fluid from the cylinders.

Which brings me to ask this question: So I know (in case it ever happens to me)...how do you go about "cranking the engine over" to expel the water with no plugs in it? Will the engine actually *start* without spark plugs in it? Or will it just turn over once or twice? Or do you somehow turn the flywheel to do this?

You simply turn it over. No, it will not start ( crank ).

It specifies on the back of the deep creep seafoam can that you run the engine till its at normal operating temp, shut it off, remove the intake hose and spray it into the throttle body throat with the plate open, the clean with a soft toothbrush if needed, then use the straw attachment as well, let it saturate and soak, then start the engine and smoke should come out like when using the regular stuff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rhett said:
Which brings me to ask this question: So I know (in case it ever happens to me)...how do you go about "cranking the engine over" to expel the water with no plugs in it? Will the engine actually *start* without spark plugs in it? Or will it just turn over once or twice? Or do you somehow turn the flywheel to do this?

After you take the plugs out you turn and hold the ignition key in the Start positon for a few seconds. The engine will not start since all the plugs are out, but it will rotate the fly wheel and cam allowing the pistons to complete their 4 cycles. This will force any fluid out of the cyclinders. To see an animated version of how an engine works follow the see how cars link in my sig line.

Back