Seafoam.....My experience, HELP !! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam.....My experience, HELP !!

I have a '92 and I disconnect the vacuum hose from the solenoid valve that controls the charcoal canister purge. The I stick the hose into the Seafoam can. It sucks the Seafoam in at the front of the throttle body. If it starts to stall, I pull the hose out of the Seafoam a little, or give it a little throttle. The last time I did it it smoked up the whole neighborhood. I let the engine sit for about 15 minutes vs. the 5 minutes in the instructions. The truck runs great but it still didn't eliminate all the ping. I'm running a bottle of Techron in the tank right now to clean the injectors. This may help. If not, I'll have to run 89 octane instead of regular for the winter. I think the reformulated oxygenated gas makes it ping.

Has anyone tried those octane boosters? I tried 104+ once. After 1/2 tank, it stopped pinging, but the good effect didn't last long.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DeRocha said:
After you take the plugs out you turn and hold the ignition key in the Start positon for a few seconds. The engine will not start since all the plugs are out, but it will rotate the fly wheel and cam allowing the pistons to complete their 4 cycles. This will force any fluid out of the cyclinders. To see an animated version of how an engine works follow the see how cars link in my sig line.

What a PITA. I'll make sure not to let it stall.

spta97 said:
What a PITA. I'll make sure not to let it stall.

IMO Stalling is ok when using SeaFoam since you have a ball part guess of how much liquid you have feed in (it stalls not because of being hydrolocked, but because the SeaFoam doesn't burn like gas).... It is when you're out wheeling and stall out in some deep water that your really need to remove the plugs and clean out the cyclinders.

Bwana Bob said:
Has anyone tried those octane boosters? I tried 104+ once. After 1/2 tank, it stopped pinging, but the good effect didn't last long.
Bob

I have a long time ago. Same effect as you...temporarily stopped ping, but didn't last long. Octane Boosters don't solve the problem, they only mask it. It's just a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

just use the Deep Creep in a can, i used it yesterday in my ranger and explorer and i even tried it in my 4-wheeler,

much simplier to use, just spray it in the TB, let it sit, then start it and go :D

Deep Creep instead of the Motor Treatment? I use Deep Creep as a penetrant, works as good as PB!

yeah you can use it as a carbon cleaner and a penetrant lubricant, its all on the back of the can

i love the stuff :D

Back