Seat is cracking | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat is cracking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also having problems with the front leather seats degrading rapidly. They look very bad, no holes or tears, just like bad plastic.

Ford claims these are leather but has anyone seen them come apart? Are they bicast (leather veneer) or full leather?

I purchased my new 2014 Explorer Limited in November of 2013. Almost immediately I noticed that the leather driver seat was wrinkling badly on the edges and in the center. I also noticed that what appeared to be small "picks" were standing out around the small perforations in the seat. I took the vehicle to the dealership, they photographed the seat, made the claim and Ford has agreed to replace the coverings on both front seats. I'm very pleased with their response.

I've had many vehicles with leather seats over the years and have never seen one exhibit this type of wrinkling, etc. Is this a known problem with the material used by Ford (this is my first Ford vehicle)? Is it a problem with the installation of the material used for the seat coverings? I'm glad that they are going to replace these, but am concerned that this problem may occur again.

I purchased my new 2014 Explorer Limited in November of 2013. Almost immediately I noticed that the leather driver seat was wrinkling badly on the edges and in the center. I also noticed that what appeared to be small "picks" were standing out around the small perforations in the seat. I took the vehicle to the dealership, they photographed the seat, made the claim and Ford has agreed to replace the coverings on both front seats. I'm very pleased with their response.

I've had many vehicles with leather seats over the years and have never seen one exhibit this type of wrinkling, etc. Is this a known problem with the material used by Ford (this is my first Ford vehicle)? Is it a problem with the installation of the material used for the seat coverings? I'm glad that they are going to replace these, but am concerned that this problem may occur again.
Welcome to the Forum goldenage.:wavey:
I too have a bit of wrinkling on the left support of the driver's seat but also had the same thing in my previous '09 Highlander. Haven't noticed any 'picks' though.
It would also help the members in answering future concerns if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin.:thumbsup:
Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum goldenage.:wavey:
I too have a bit of wrinkling on the left support of the driver's seat but also had the same thing in my previous '09 Highlander. Haven't noticed any 'picks' though.
It would also help the members in answering future concerns if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin.:thumbsup:
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for your response. The wrinkling I have is not on the side support of the seat, but in the center section. The leather is loose and wrinkled (car is less than 60 days old). It is in the shop today getting new seat covers from Ford so we will see how it wears from this point forward. The "picks" are in the seat and on the back.

I bought an Explorer XLS with leather interiors last october 2013. In november I place a work order because I noted an unusual wearing at the driver seat (left side). In January 2014 Ford deny my claim saying that warranty does not cover that problem. I ask to talk with the service manager and yesterday (march 5) they took my vehicle to apparently an expert who decided that the wearing was caused with the jeans every time I sit or get off the vehicle. So, thats means that if I buy a car with leather seat I can not use jeans? Completely absurd specially when this is my third vehicle with leather interiors and that never happens. Inclusive I use to own a Fors Sportrack with leather interiors which I sell it after 8 years use without any problem.

I bought an Explorer XLS with leather interiors last october 2013. In november I place a work order because I noted an unusual wearing at the driver seat (left side). In January 2014 Ford deny my claim saying that warranty does not cover that problem. I ask to talk with the service manager and yesterday (march 5) they took my vehicle to apparently an expert who decided that the wearing was caused with the jeans every time I sit or get off the vehicle. So, thats means that if I buy a car with leather seat I can not use jeans? Completely absurd specially when this is my third vehicle with leather interiors and that never happens. Inclusive I use to own a Fors Sportrack with leather interiors which I sell it after 8 years use without any problem.
Welcome to the forum hector8362.:wavey:
I assume you meant that you have an XLT. I have some slight wringling of the leather on the raised edge of the driver's seat cushion but I wouldn't call it wear. My '09 Highlander had the same thing and I wear jeans all the time as well.

Peter

I bought an Explorer XLS with leather interiors last october 2013. In november I place a work order because I noted an unusual wearing at the driver seat (left side)...

Hi hector8362,

I recommend that you reach out to Ford Puerto Rico so they can assist. Give them a call at 1-800-841-3673; I know they'll be happy to do what they can to help.

Crystal

On real pleather seats, it is recommended that you drive in the buff-best get heated and cooled seats. LOL

Some pics of your seats would be awesome.......

2013 Explorer Leather seats

I'm new to this forum and pretty brain dead in the IT dept.
That having been said, I'm having the same problem with my heated/ac leather seats in my Limited.
I'll contact my dealer regarding the issue now that I see it is not just me having the problem.
While talking about the seat problem, the bottom attachment on the front lower part of both front seats will not stay in place. Our dealer just pops/rolls it back in place and says its fixed. This will be my fourth trip regarding this issue.
Other than the seat issue and some wind buffet problem when the windows are down I love this vehicle.
Should I contact Ford about these issues? Who do I call?
My dealer is Gullo Ford in Conroe, TX.

Kind of off topic but;

Does anyone know if a car upholstery shop can re upholster the perforated leather seats? Just curious. Mine are OK.

Well, if you were in Dallas I would HIGHLY recommend The Seat Shop in Plano.

www.theseatshop.com

They just did the drivers seat on my '98 XLT and it looks factory new. They have all the foam and leather patterns to make it brand new. Can't say enough about them. They are also local guys and really make an effort to make the customer happy. And I am not a paid spokesperson or have any affiliation with them. Just a satisfied customer.

Chef Duane

I'm new to this forum and pretty brain dead in the IT dept.
That having been said, I'm having the same problem with my heated/ac leather seats in my Limited.
I'll contact my dealer regarding the issue now that I see it is not just me having the problem.
While talking about the seat problem, the bottom attachment on the front lower part of both front seats will not stay in place. Our dealer just pops/rolls it back in place and says its fixed. This will be my fourth trip regarding this issue.
Other than the seat issue and some wind buffet problem when the windows are down I love this vehicle.
Should I contact Ford about these issues? Who do I call?
My dealer is Gullo Ford in Conroe, TX.
Welcome to the Forum Lesmf.:wavey:
As long as the vehicle is under warranty I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer for any issues you are experiencing. If you are not happy with them, then you can go to any Ford dealer or contact Crystal (FordService) one of the Ford reps that monitor our Forums. You can send her a private message (PM) at the following;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck

Peter

...Should I contact Ford about these issues? Who do I call?...

I'll be happy to look into this, Lesmf; all I'll need is a private message (PM) from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. If you'd prefer to speak with someone on the phone, you can contact our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673; they can offer the same assistance that I can. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just took my 2014 to the dealer on this issue

We're having a similar problem with the "leather" on the drivers seat of our 2014 Explorer. We bought the car in February and it has 6000 miles on it. It is my wife's car and she really babies it so it's hard to believe it's something we did.

The problem is on the left bolster on the driver's side seat right next to the seam. It's like the "leather", which is about the thickness of paint, is flaking off.

The service technician at first thought they would try to repair it but then discovered that they were prohibited from repairing it, I suppose because of the airbag that is in the bolster.

He's submitted a warranty claim with Ford and we'll see how it comes back. We previously had an almost identical 2011 with no upholstery problems for the 30 months we had it. We're going to be pretty upset if we don't get any satisfaction on this issue with a nearly new car.

Welcome to the Forum misanman.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about the seat issue. This hasn't been a big issue but there have been enough posts about it that it should be considered as a defect in material.

Peter

...He's submitted a warranty claim with Ford and we'll see how it comes back. We previously had an almost identical 2011 with no upholstery problems for the 30 months we had it. We're going to be pretty upset if we don't get any satisfaction on this issue with a nearly new car.

Let us know when you have a verdict, misanman. If you need me to step in and help, just PM your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work on this.

Crystal

I had the flaking on the seat back and the bottom was wrinkled and darkened from dye transfer. Ford is repairing it under warranty, car is 18 months old with 26,000 miles.

Leather seats cracking

Had the same problem on my 2013 limited with AC seats. Ford replaced my driver seat cover at 30,000 miles. Thank you Ford.
However, that having been said, unless they have made a significant inroad to the leather quality I don't see the new one or my passenger side lasting very long. Unfortunately it's just poor quality material.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good news - seat covered under warranty!

We received some good news this week - Ford has agreed to cover the seat issue we had (flacking of surface material on the left bolster) under warranty! :) Thank you Ford! And thanks also to Chrystal from Ford Parts and Service for her assistance.

Back