Seat is cracking | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat is cracking

We received some good news this week - Ford has agreed to cover the seat issue we had (flacking of surface material on the left bolster) under warranty! :) Thank you Ford! And thanks also to Chrystal from Ford Parts and Service for her assistance.

I'm happy I was able to help, misanman! Don't hesitate to contact me if you need assistance in the future. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leather Seat Issue

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT that was purchased in June 2014. There is a small place on the Driver's side seat that looks like the leather is peeling. I have taken it to a local dealer and called Ford directly, and they will not replace it. They say they cannot determine it was a defect in the seat. It is discouraging to pay $40,000 for a vehicle, and this is what you get. I had a 2008 GM SUV that traded for this one and the leather seats in it still looked new. If the seats are this cheap in the Ford then leather should not be an option. Has anyone else had this issue? Did Ford fix it?

Welcome to the Forum wvcntrygrl.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one.
I would also suggest that you contact Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep that monitors this forum. You can send her a PM (Private Message) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.

Peter

Crystal,

Thanks for your concern. I am already in contact with a regional customer service manager due to my many issues with my new Explorer. Unfortunately dealerships/Ford does not care about their customers enough to provide a rent car, so I have to wait til next week when I have two days off in a row. At that time I will be addressing my other issues as well.

I have a rental. I don't have any plans either. My dealer provides me with a rental every time I have work done. Last time I had the rental for 3 days. Not sure if this is a dealership thing or a Ford thing. Anyone know what thing this is? It must relate to what kind of work is being performed. If it's warranty work I'm almost certain they provide a rental.

If the dealer is providing a rental they are doing so at their expense. As per the Warranty Guide, Ford does not provide loaners or rentals.

Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that
you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your
transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel,
telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial
property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or
consequential damages you may have.

Peter

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT that was purchased in June 2014. There is a small place on the Driver's side seat that looks like the leather is peeling. I have taken it to a local dealer and called Ford directly, and they will not replace it. They say they cannot determine it was a defect in the seat. It is discouraging to pay $40,000 for a vehicle, and this is what you get. I had a 2008 GM SUV that traded for this one and the leather seats in it still looked new. If the seats are this cheap in the Ford then leather should not be an option. Has anyone else had this issue? Did Ford fix it?

The leather finish failed on part of our driver's seat and Ford just blamed normal wear and tear (even though other parts of the seat that get more wear showed no such failure). It was then I was pretty sure getting this car was a mistake. Haven't been proven wrong since. But, I do hope that you are able to get some resolution that you find satisfactory.

Leather wear

WOW. I was actually just looking at mine w 40K miles wondering how they made leather that held up so well, and how long until it looks starts to look like :censored:

Ford Customer Service is a Joke

Ford won't cover my seat covers. Very unhappy with the service I have received. After looking over my seats I found some defects in the leather on the passenger seat as well, but they still won't cover it. I am done with Ford. I should have stuck with a GM vehicle. I will be sure to tell everyone Don't buy a Ford.

It appears that you haven't tried contacting Crystal (FordService) the Ford service rep who monitors this forum. There have been others that had seat issues repaired under warranty. At this point you don't seem to have anything to lose. You can send her a private message using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

2014 Explorer Limited, leather seats worn out and wrinkled

I am having the same issue. It's a 2014, barely 7000 miles and looks like the colour is faded, and cracking. I have the black perforated. Is there anyone in Canada that I can contact for this issue?

I am having the same issue. It's a 2014, barely 7000 miles and looks like the colour is faded, and cracking. I have the black perforated. Is there anyone in Canada that I can contact for this issue?
Welcome to the Forum Az1982.:wavey:
The Canadian Ford Service rep is Kwasi (FordServiceCA). You can PM him using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337
Good luck.

Peter

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum after many failed attempts to work with Ford Customer Service and Dealerships I am not sure where else to turn for advice. I have a 2013 Limited and have been very happy with it except... I am having driver’s seat issues which I think many of you may be talking about. See pictures via the link below. I am in Sales so I drive a lot and have 86k miles on the car and have been complaining about the issue prior to the warranty wearing out. I have the premium coverage plan as well but Ford is still telling me tough luck it is not our problem it is wear and tear. I have never had a car seat break down in less than two years or ever for that matter, especially on the side support area! Any tip on how to get this resolved would be helpful. Crystal I hope you see this post and respond. Yes I have a case number with Ford Customer service which is not helpful. The dealers hands are tied and I understand that but, Ford Customer Service has been less than Customer Service to be polite about it. Any advice is appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/caleb_keller/sets/72157649736443150/

Thanks,
Andy

That is definitely the pleather portion of the seats.

I don't think this happened when car manufacturers used "fine Corinthian leather."

...Crystal I hope you see this post and respond. Yes I have a case number with Ford Customer service...

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum; I'll be happy to look into this and see what I can do to help. If you have it handy, send me a private message (PM) with your case number so I can start researching this further. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Wow....After reading through this thread, I am glad I went with the upgraded seats that have stitched leather and Mica Suede. Hopefully they don't have these problems.

Driver seat worn out and replaced

I had the same issue with my 14 limited explorer. Just had the driver seat base replaced. While it is a new piece, the installation seems very poor and is no where near a tight fit as it previously was, or compared to the passenger seat. I almost wish I never bothered.

AZ1982 - I had the driver side seat base covered under warranty for cracking on the side. The dealer had done a lousy job putting the new (p)leather cover on. I found they had not secured all the clips properly around the edges that I took care of myself. There is also a series of plastic strips that follow the stitching in seat. These need to be snapped into clips molded into the foam seat base. If they are not, the cover will not have the contoured look that is should and will appear to have a baggy fit. I ended up peeling back the warranty installation to find this out and was able to snap everything into place and got the seat cover to fit the way it should.

There is a lip on the front edge of my 2013 EX that folds over a metal edge on the front seats. The driver side has flipped off and will not stay attached. Anyone have this issue and/or solution?

There is a lip on the front edge of my 2013 EX that folds over a metal edge on the front seats. The driver side has flipped off and will not stay attached. Anyone have this issue and/or solution?

I have the same problem on my 3 week old Sport... This is the 3rd problem I have had in 3 weeks! A brand new car should not have problems... and this is our 3rd Explorer.

I'm curious if anyone else has a solution as well, are the clips just too weak or is the material not large enough that it has too much tension and they pull free?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem on my 3 week old Sport... This is the 3rd problem I have had in 3 weeks! A brand new car should not have problems... and this is our 3rd Explorer.

I'm curious if anyone else has a solution as well, are the clips just too weak or is the material not large enough that it has too much tension and they pull free?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Not sure why this is happening. Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

Peter

Back