Seatbelt Locked: Not Retracting

MunkeyTX

Reaction score
City, State
Deep South Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB 2WD 4.0
'04 Explorer EB, rear middle seat.

Wife was putting car seat in, pulled the seatbelt out so it will 'auto-lock' as it retracts, and it's locked solid. Most of the length of the seatbelt is out, and it won't retract. Took off plastic trim piece, belt is not twisted or jammed inside the seatback, as far as I can tell. Spent a good 30 minutes tugging and fooling with it, and it's still locked.

Followed the procedure in the FSM of folding the seat into the down 'stowed' position, and raising it back up. Did nothing, belt is still locked solid.

Beat the living snot out of the seat trying to get the locking mechanism to unstick with no luck.

Any fixes or should I start looking for an online replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I know the answer to this, but I'm gonna ask anyway, so don't get mad. So have you pulled it back out (I mean how you get it to auto lock stage) and then see if it retracted?
If not you may need to consider a new seat belt retractor

Is car on flat ground or on hill or slant? Seem to remember that some vehicles the retractors would lock if vehicle is point with nose down hill. Kinda of simulating a quick deceleration (ie. panic stop). Try again with vehicle on level ground and to "unlock" try with back end on the down hill. Let us know what happens.

I think I know the answer to this, but I'm gonna ask anyway, so don't get mad. So have you pulled it back out (I mean how you get it to auto lock stage) and then see if it retracted?
If not you may need to consider a new seat belt retractor

Uhh, what? :D Here's the series of events: seatbelt was pulled out from rest stage to fully extended (so it will autolock as it retracts), and as it was retracting (and autolock clicking) it just stopped solid. No retracting or extending now, just plain locked solid. When this happened, it had only retracted a few inches before it locked. So we've got a huge length of seatbelt flopping around in the back seat. Make sense?

Is car on flat ground or on hill or slant? Seem to remember that some vehicles the retractors would lock if vehicle is point with nose down hill. Kinda of simulating a quick deceleration (ie. panic stop). Try again with vehicle on level ground and to "unlock" try with back end on the down hill. Let us know what happens.

Nope, perfectly level inside the garage. Took a mallet to the seat back and got medieval on it, but the damn thing is still locked. :(

mosttimes you can stick your finger near the cylinder push on it to retract the seatbelt. if your cylinder is slack and loose then itll probably need replaced. first thing is to see if there is any give in or out. if not and its solidly in one place then chances are your locks just stuck. try rolling it back with your finger. often it takes a little force to move it back so be careful not to get your finger caught.....

you could also try a flat head instaed of sacraficing a finger!!!

My 08 Mouty is in at the garage right now for the same thing. It is still under warr. so they are putting a new belt in it when the part comes in next week. Mine was the middle seat in the middle row though.

STU

Uhh, what? :D Here's the series of events: seatbelt was pulled out from rest stage to fully extended (so it will autolock as it retracts), and as it was retracting (and autolock clicking) it just stopped solid. No retracting or extending now, just plain locked solid. When this happened, it had only retracted a few inches before it locked. So we've got a huge length of seatbelt flopping around in the back seat. Make sense?

Nope, perfectly level inside the garage. Took a mallet to the seat back and got medieval on it, but the damn thing is still locked. :(

I understand now. I just needed to ask the basic question. And the more details the better. Try what eric27 said, but like he said use a flat head screw driver

I'm new to these posts, and may not be in the right place . . . however:

I have the same problem with my 2003 Explorer XLT.
The 2nd Row Middle Shoulder Seat Belt is fully extended and will not retract.
Is this something I can replace myself, or am I forced back to the dealer to have this done?

CJB

I'm new to these posts, and may not be in the right place . . . however:

I have the same problem with my 2003 Explorer XLT.
The 2nd Row Middle Shoulder Seat Belt is fully extended and will not retract.
Is this something I can replace myself, or am I forced back to the dealer to have this done?

CJB

I would suggest you head on over to the stealership...or go to a JY see if you can get a good shape seat in the color needed.

Have you (or anyone else had to pay to have this fixed?

I would suggest you head on over to the stealership...or go to a JY see if you can get a good shape seat in the color needed.

Has anyone paid do have this done? If so, how much? I can't even find the whole seat online anywhere.

TIA

Hard to tell by the illustration ford provided me..., but here's the part number:
Part Number: <611B64
Part Description: Seat Belt SECOND ROW 40-20-40 SEATS Second Row 40-20-40 Flip/Fold Seat 2nd Row 40-20-40 Enchanced Fold ; Medium Dark Parchment Interior, (+)"Canada", US MARKETS, (+)"Mexico" (Rear)
Price: $160.60
You can also get it in the charcoal color too.
I assume you have the third row seating?

Update:

We finally took the Ex to the dealership for this, and a few other issues we were having. We have Ford's Extended Warranty 'PremiumCare' ESP Plan (highest level), and they are saying the seat belt is not covered under warranty??

What in the holy hell?? Just got the phone call here at work; heading down there to bash some heads as it specifically states in the ESP warranty:

•Safety Belt Buckle
(Front and Rear)
• Safety Belt Motor
Drive Assembly
• Safety Belt
Restraint Carrier
• Safety Belt Retractors• Safety Belt
Track Assembly
• Safety Belt Warning
Chime Assembly
• Sensors (Airbag)
• Shoulder Strap
Track Assembly

Arrrgggh. :mad:

Update to the update: Turns out it is covered; however the replacement part number 611B64 will display NOT COVERED. We tried inputting the left seat belt assembly, which was covered, and then the right, which was also covered. The service writer had to call the Ford ESP hotline for approval. Even the operator from the hotline was dumbfounded on why the 2nd row center would not be covered. They ran it as a left rear seat belt assy. for the coverage to kick in. YAY! :D

ok... I just gotta ask: You said your "wife's seat belt" so are you saying when the family travels together your WIFE is relegated, not only to the middle row, but the "hump seat" in the middle? LOL my wife would kill me!

On our '04 we have found that when they stick/lock like that if you lay the belt & buckle perfectly flat on the adjoining surface & gently tug it will retract... especially on the front (2) captain's chairs...

I just thought it was funny the way you worded it... glad they got you taken care of.

Rob

Back