seized a/c compressor, clean orifice tube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seized a/c compressor, clean orifice tube

hckynck20

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
so about a year ago my compressor crapped out in the winter time when i had my defroster on, the compressor was glowing red, so i just put a new belt on and bypassed the a/c clutch.

today i had some extra time and i pulled my orifice tube, which looks clean there are no metal shards, or gunk of any kind on it so my question is what is the next step?

i've looked at other threads that say what you need to do if you have black death, but what do i need to replace and whats the process if my compressor went out and my orifice tube is clean? i have 1994 explorer on r-134a

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new compressor and condensor. flush the lines between comprooser to condensor and also the line between condensor and orfice tube. get system vaccumed and proper oil added and recharge

^^^ exactly :thumbsup:

Just for clarification be sure to flush the condenser as well, but I know that is what you meant....

Do not forget the dryer; most parts houses will not warrenty the compressor with out installing a new dryer.

Ah great point...

if its got a orfice tube its not got a dryer. and most condesor's cant be flush cuz of the multiple paths of flow so replace it

if its got a orfice tube its not got a dryer. and most condesor's cant be flush cuz of the multiple paths of flow so replace it

If it is a '94 Explorer (as indicated under his name) it has an orfice (expansion) tube and a dryer (which helps with any small amount of moisture that might be in the system). These parts perform two totally jobs that are necessary.

no its called a acculamtor and has long as the system still has a small amount of r-134a in it, its good

expansion vavle systems have a reciever/dryer on the high side. orfice tube system have the accumator on the low side of the system

expansion vavle systems have a reciever/dryer on the high side. orfice tube system have the accumator on the low side of the system

I stand corrected on the dryer/accumalator termanology.

How do you maintain any pressure in the system when the system is opened?

The compressor warrenty (as I stated above) should be of some consideration because of the cost.

if you seal the fittings while working on it vac right away then you have no problem. if the compprosser failed in a way that vent the refrigdrant then yes it needs replace. if it still got pressure when you beginn work then you dont need to.

thanks for all the replies i replaced the compressor, condenser and the dryer and all works great!

Back