Serious Mtx Audio Therapy

DOZIER

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fultondale, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Ok, here is the deal. I am in the Marine Corps and I am currently in Okinawa, Japan for a while. I just got back off leave like 2 weeks ago. I started hooking up my 01 sport when I bought it back in November. I had the cladding painted to match the white body, mine did not have fog light holes cut out so I did that and bought some nice fog lamps from auto zone. I also put some boss 301 20" rims on it and a 1" drop block on the back and a 2-1/2" torsion bar twist on the front so it sits sporty. I took off the E in explorer so it says xplorer and removed the sport logo. I have put clear corners and t-rex billet grill inserts in the top and bottom of the front of the truck then put in euro tail lights and tinted the windows 5%. The front windshield says "HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED", and the back said "WARNING MTX AUDIO TEST SITE", but I thought it looked stupid, so now it just says "MTX AUDIO". Yes I am broad casting for thieves but it never leaves the garage so it is ok. I have Rockford Fosgate 2-way speakers in the doors and the back side panels in the back seat. I also have flush mounted ample audio tweeters in the doors. I have blue under body lights which match the led's which are blue that I put in the plexi glass box that I made with mtx cut out of the glass which houses an SWX digital 1 farad capacitor, a distribution block with 1/0 guage wiring from my optima yellow top battery to the back, and two mtx thunder 801 d mono block amplifiers. I had a 1501d which is 1500 watts rms, but blew it when running 6-mtx thunder 5500 dvc 12's, at 1.33 ohms. So now I am supposedly running 2.77 ohms or something like that. But that is not the problem. My problem is that I have three subs on each amp and everybody knows that smell when an amp has just about had it. Well I don't care about that amp. I have a year warranty on them and I have only had them for 3 months. My question is should I buy another 801d to have three and 2 subs running off of each one. By the way each amp says it is about 800 watts but I rated one of them at my friends house and it showed 1100 watts so I think they might be under rated unless he read the meter wrong which I don't think he did. I think if I put a third amp on the subs, it will reduce the stress on the other amps and thus not smelling funny when I crank it up at shows. Or should I blow them up then get new ones for free but pay a little more and buy a third one at that time. The subs are not bottoming out either. Please let me know if the amps are pushing too hard and burning up or if the ohm rating is jacked or what. I don't really know what to think. I think I have a good understanding of the whole electronics and how everything works. But I am also sure there are some whizes out there who can help also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also

i have pics posted on the before and after link under SHOW X IN THE MAKING.
more pics will be posted soon of audio, they are being developed.

Can't post pics unless you're elite, or link them from another site.

j602 said:
Can't post pics unless you're elite, or link them from another site.
j6, you're elite.. but you're still a P.W. If you're gonna reply, help out with the subject at hand...

LCPL, you're asking if you should go with 2400W for 6 subs rather than 1600W for 6 subs... i say go for it :D Those Thunder 5500's have an RMS of 300W each (1800W total) so as of now you are overpowering your two 800W amps. The signal is probably clipping (gains too high) causing the amps to overwork. Another amp and lower gain setting (that means a higher sensitivity) on all three amps will reduce demand and produce less heat from the amps.. Check all your ground cables make sure those connections are a-OK.
~stu

ground wires

Hey I checked my wires and they are perfect. I think I am over powering my amps. And I know those subs are at 300 rms a piece and they are hitting right now but are not bottoming out. I just figured it would be better to buy another amp. I am in Japan right now so I will have to wait till I get back. I understand about the gain too. I just like how it is hitting and I am not worried about blowing the amps. I think my subs are under rated

your MTX subs are NOT under rated. I never said the subs are bottoming out I said your amps is clipping. Completely different situation. The amp is not being "over-powered"- that makes no sense, however it may be over-working. That means you should get another amp to share the load. GL, sayanora.

~stu

Robb said:
What is a P.W.? :confused:

Yeah, umm, I'd also like to know since I was called this.

Back