Need help with an MTX amp (longer sorry) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with an MTX amp (longer sorry)

michael brown

Reaction score
City, State
colorado springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
I have an old MTX Thunder 280 amp that I had hooked up in a car about 8 years ago. When I got rid of that car I put the amp and subs in storage and just recently came across them again. I'm now looking to put them in my 2000 xlt.

I have a question about how to hook up the amp. Its been a long time and I truthfully can't remember how we hooked it up. I know we used the bridge feature on the amp but I have some questions.

First of all the specs on the back of the amp are:
40 Watts RMS/CH into 4 Ohms @ .05% THD 20-20,000Hz
80 Watts RMS/CH into 2 Ohms @ .1% THD 20-20,000Hz
160 Watts RMS Bridged into 4 Ohms @ .1% THD 20-20,000Hz
280 Watts Dynamic Power (IHF-202) Bridged into 4 Ohms (14.4 VDC)

My subs are Rockford Fosgates that were made back around '96 (RFP-415 series I believe) they are 4 Ohm speakers. I don't remember if we wired the subs in parallel or series. If we wired them in parallel it would make a 2 Ohm load but if I read the specs on the amp right it doesn't handle a 2 Ohm load bridged only 4 Ohms bridged. Should I just go with the listed 40 Watts into 4 Ohms untill I get a new amp or am I missing something?

If you want to hook up both speakers safely, then from what I understand, you will have to hook them up in stereo, giving them 40 watts apiece.

Back