Serp. Belt turns/Timing doesn't Ranger 2.3L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serp. Belt turns/Timing doesn't Ranger 2.3L

shaggyplanet

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
My 1993 Ranger 2.3L broke down recently.
When I turn the key, the serpentine belt turns (and the aux. crankshaft pulley turns, but the timing belt doesn't turn.
I can pry open the upper timing cover enough to feel tension on the belt.
Any suggestions???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the key on the crank shaft. They key may have stripped or the belt is torn..

Thanks Ranger Al:
Actually, the tension on the timing belt released when I poked at it a little after reading your reply.
Will procede exposing the timing belt and replacing it (and the tensioner).
Will report back also.
/Shaggyplanet

Yeah, the belt was toast!
Any advice on getting the new timing belt on the crank (2.3L 4 cylinder)? Haynes manual doesn't seem to give any tips on this.
Looks like I'll have to use a puller on the crank pulley. Ugh!
Is there an easier way???

I don't know a thing about that type engine. Is the camshaft hooked to this belt. If so I hope you don't have any bent valves from the piston hitting them in the opened position. You need to get a manual that has info on this. The crank and cam have to be in the right position to each other when the new belt in on.

bent valve??? No spark.

How would I know if I have a bent valve?

Timing belt installed...no spark.

Engine turns over fine, but no spark!

Your engine is freewheeling basically it means its a non interference engine and even though the timing belt broke there should be no damage to the valves because even if they where open the piston couldn't reach them. Slam a belt on it and you'll be ready to go.

You have to pull the crank pully and dampner or you cannot see the timing marks to align it properly. If you do not align proplery it either will not start or may not run very well. There is also a timing mark on the camshaft pulley as well as the cylinder head you have to align. At my dealer I believe we charge about 2.5hrs labor to install them on that particular vehicle its not to hard to change.

Msupertek , it probably is not an interference running engine, but an interference running engine, in other words one that the piston and valves will hit if not timed right, can still turn freely. I just rebuilt not to long ago a Vtec Honda. The belt broke while driving, and the pistons bent the valves far enough that it still let the engine spin. And that was my vtec, well in name only my son drives it

If it is or any interference engine is ever rebuilt, as you know, it should be turned over a few complete cycles by hand slowly to make sure there is no contact before starting engine.

Rookie I think you misunderstood me I"m telling him it is a non-interference engine and he just needs to slap a belt on it. I've put quite a few timing belts on rangers that where broke and till this day have never seen one bend any valves because they threw a timing belt. I have worked for Ford for 9 years.

Msupertek said:
Rookie I think you misunderstood me I"m telling him it is a non-interference engine and he just needs to slap a belt on it. I've put quite a few timing belts on rangers that where broke and till this day have never seen one bend any valves because they threw a timing belt. I have worked for Ford for 9 years.

Thanks for the info ;)

Thanks all the great advice!
...but I'm still not getting spark to the spark plugs.
*the coil packs and ignition module are good (as far as I've tested)

I'm quite sure I lined up the timing marks correctly.
Could it be the sensor near the crankshaft pulley?
Could it be the PCM (the main computer)? ...but all other power works fine.

UGH!!!

You have to remove the crank pulley, dampner and sensor in order to see the timing marks properly. Also make sure you have the crank sensor installed properly and the vane on the balancer rotating through it is centered. I have had the belt off a little and had a no start on occassion. It's a good Idea to put on the belt, apply the tensioner, and bolt on the sensor and dampner (the part with the vanes) and then try to start it before putting it all the way back together just in case you got it a little off.

Still no spark!

I tore it back down. My marks were dead on. I messed with the crankshaft sensor.
Starter cranks strong. new coil packs. new ignition module. farckkk!!!!!

What could be wrong with this monster?
I'm probably making a stupid mistake. The truck ran perfect before the timing belt went.

No spark to the plug. All timing marks dead-on. The only timing mark I'm questioning is the oil pump pulley. My inner timing cover doesn't seem to have a mark, but every illustration I've seen shows the mark at 12 o'clock.
(new coil packs, plugs, crank sensor, ign. module)

Can anyone help here?

Good guess would be the crank sensor, if you removed it from the bracket instead of removing both bracket and sensor as one piece my guess would be the air gap adjustment of the sensor. Just a guess

get it fixed? two things is the rotor spinning... you could have a sheered pin in the lower dist shaft... tfi model on side of dist they go bad just like that... and yes the 2300 is a non interfernce motor until you start shaving the head
(I race them in Pinto's) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back