• Register Today It's free!

Sevice transmission at home?

ShawnTRD

Reaction score
City, State
Spener, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Anyway to service the Auto. Transmission at home. I guess you need a special filler tool to put fluid back into the pan. Any help here? I know I can take it and have it done. Just like working on my own stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is quite possible. It is a complicated process however and Ford's stupid idea to remove the tranny dipstick makes it all the harder. Keep a lookout in the Transmission forums.

What is the matter with the tranny?

Whats wrong with the tranny is they want $150 to change the filter and fluid in the pan only. I was just hoping there was some tool/pump to refill the pan at home.

Anyone know what I need for the
"barbed hose fitting with the appropriate sized threads for the center hole of the drain plug."

i ran into this problem too ... you can do like seths thread says but i couldnt find the special tool so i just used a giant syringe like thing and put it back in that way bot the best or quickest way though but it worked (took the allen head threaded peice out...left the drain plug)

Army Soldier I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for your service.
It is greatly appreciated.
Ft. Benning is where my brother in law and sister are headed in about 1 month. Will be missing them up here in Maine.

Anyone know what I need for the
"barbed hose fitting with the appropriate sized threads for the center hole of the drain plug."

Sure thing! I didn't like the funky TORX plug it had,. so checked it out, the small plug in the center of the big drain plug is 1/8-inch NPT size (National Pipe Thread), not metric. I put in a hex socket flush plug as a replacement. imp

Army Soldier I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for your service.
It is greatly appreciated.
Ft. Benning is where my brother in law and sister are headed in about 1 month. Will be missing them up here in Maine.

thanks for taking the time to say that. it is appreciated. what is his MOS/job?

I am not 100% sure. He was here in NH Guard doing some sort of job getting soldiers ready for and dealing with them coming back from deployment. He got offered a job from the US Army so NH released him of his duty so he could take this job. I do know it is newly formed position and if I remembver right it is along the lines of what he did for the NH Guard working with troops dealing with deployment.

Back