• Register Today It's free!

Shaking while braking/turning

Kadahaf

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston/Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT/'95 XL
Whenever I stop around 0-15mph I get a shaking effect when I turn. It happens when I'm parked also. If I hold the brake down either braking and turning or stopped and brake/turn it shakes. I think it's the rotors, but I don't want to replace them, because I just got new pads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, I looked at my rotors, they seem fine. I just got this truck back and my mechanic said he felt this too when stopped and allping the brake while turning. All he did was rotate tires and changed the brake pads. This didn't happen before I took it to him.

i have this problem also, but i have not tried it while stopped in neutral. i leaned to drive in this car and once a accidentally hit the clutch instead of the brake while parking in an open lot and hit the curb pretty bad, that was like 2 yrs ago though, so i thought i might have knocked the wheels out of alignment. ill see if that happens when stopped too when i get my car back. Right now its in the shop getting painted and new wheels/tires put on. can't wait for it back!

since we have the same trucks maybe it's the same problem :S
I don't want to spend 250+ on rotors atm when I have to pay 1200 for insurance every 6 mos

Let me see if I understand you correctly. In your first message you indicate that the shaking occurs WHEN YOU ARE COMPLETELY STOPPED? If that is the case, why are you looking at the rotors?

Let me rephrase.
When I'm completly stopped AND turn the wheel it shakes. I also feel this shake when I'm slowing down AND turning.

Check your power steering pump, maybe also try lucas power steering additive if it is low.
Somewhere the pressure is changing, causing the jerkiness

I checked the fluid level for the steering. It was pretty full. At least 4 inches from the cap.

Back