• Register Today It's free!

Shift Kits and Inter-coolers

TekMan05

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 5.0 V8
I'm looking for direct applications of Shift Kits and Transmission coolers for a 2000 5.0. Any help would be VERY Apprceciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you! Hmm Now I need to find the right cooler best for me!!

Stay away from fin and tube designed coolers. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't do anywhere near the job a plate style cooler will do. Here's a good one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-70266&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Also, it would be nice to use all metal lines for plumbing the cooler. But since that isn't practical, make darn good and sure you use hose specifically designed for transmission coolers. I believe Gates offers it in 3' lengths. Check Rock Auto if your local jobber doesn't carry it. That's where I buy it. Of course, you can always find a factory trans cooler on eBay or the junk yard that will bolt right in.

As to shift kits, you just can't beat TransGo. For normal everyday use, get their inexpensive $50 kit. Whether or not you utilize their 2nd gear start is up to you. ( I didn't on my own vehicle) I am very, very impressed with how this kit shifts. It's perfect for street use. Good, clean shifts without snapping your neck...which stresses the case and internals.

Well I already have an SCT Tuner so anything basic will be good. The reason I'm looking for all of this is because My transmission is gone and it's about to be re-built. Thank very much though!

Ok let me ask this before I do anything to my transmission. Since I already have the X-Cal III Tuner would I even need a shift kit? Or Should I go with the cooler while having it re-built and call it a day??

Thomas--
one thing I want to say-
Be sure the entire trans oiling system is flushed well, as tiny fragments of the old transmission will be everywhere--
the oil circulates through the lines, radiator, and an aux cooler-get them flushed real good. Don't install a new transmission without doing this!!!

you will want to add another cooler also, like the plate cooler above.

I would replace the rubber lines also-be sure to use a hydraulic oil compatible hose-

Once again thanks for being so helpful Jon. I appreciate this a ton. :D One day I'll have to make the drive back down to Humbdolt

Back