• Register Today It's free!

Engine oil cooler

99XLT-Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
inverness FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt explorer 4.0SOHC
I am looking to add an engine oil cooler to my sohc. reason being is that i am geared at 456 and have 33s. i run about 2500rpm at 65 mph.

just for extra protection i want to set one up.

i just bought a filter relocation kit (new) for 25 bucks from my buddy.

now all i need is 1/2 npt barbed fittings and the cooler itself. my question is that will a stock tranny cooler flow adequately to use as a oil cooler?

Also what size lines should i run? 3/8?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump... anyone running one? i set up the filter relocation and it seems as though i lost a couple psi on the high point of the gauge( about 55 psi cold)

However i gained a few psi hot idle which is where i was most concered (it sits at 15 at hot idle)

i have the cooler just need to pick up hose and fittings for it. my only worry is if i will loose too much pressure since it have to pump the pil through the cooler?

I installed an engine oil cooler in my Sport. I learned that a thermostatic controller is needed or the oil temperature will be too low for proper engine operation in the winter. I installed a 215 deg F thermostat and I have a temperature gauge in an A pillar pod. I don't remember ever seeing the temperature increase enough for the thermostat to open although I don't drive off road or pull a trailer. I haven't noticed any significant engine oil temperature increase after installing an M90 supercharger but I don't race.

You should buy a new dedicated oil cooler that works for the size of the engine. Never use a used cooler from a yard. You never know what may have been run through it.

im not using one from a yard. i pulled one off of a parts truck i had.

If im understanding what youre saying your oil doesnt even get over 215? which means your cooler isnt circulating any oil?

very small flow

The Canton oil thermostat allows a small flow even when the temperature is below 215 deg. F. I picked 215 to reduce water vapor in the oil.
OilTstat-1.jpg

I have a remote full flow and bypass (Amsoil) oil filter which provide some cooling before the oil reaches the thermostat.
OFLowFull.jpg

Although this summer in Greenville it's been hotter than usual (95 deg. F) that's not enough for the thermostat to open during normal driving. I have a double row (2 inch thick) radiator core instead of the stock single row (1 inch thick) core that came with the vehicle so that helps reduce oil temperature. After installation and testing, I concluded that the external oil cooler is unnecessary except for towing, hill climbing or racing in this climate. I advise against an external cooler in cold climates unless a thermostat is part of the installation.

well i live in florida so its not much of a problem haha. all i have going on now is a relocated oil filter and i have 2 more ports to run to my cooler just havent had the time to install it yet also is there any reason the oil filter shouldnt be located alot higher than the stock location?

remote oil filter location

One of my primary considerations for the location of the remote oil filter was accessibility. To access mine I only have to remove the air deflector below the radiator. Another consideration was to mount it vertically so oil would not spill out during removal. Most quality oil filters have a check valve to prevent drain back but a vertical filter prevents drain back even when the check valve has failed. Another consideration is protection from damage. Behind the bumper is a fairly safe location. I can't think of a reason to prevent mounting it higher.

so what you did was run the oil through the factory rad. first then run it to the thermostat and then to external cooler? im thinking about just running it to the radiator and bypassing the tranny cooler so it just flows through the external cooler cause my tranny temps are good. runs at about 162 on the highway.

what is your oil temp on highway after a while? and pressure?

Engine oil or ATF?

I think you're getting confused about ATF vs engine oil coolers. The cooler internal to the radiator is for ATF cooling in the stock configuration. Many Explorers have an additional ATF cooler in front of the A/C condenser. The 5R55E has an internal thermostatically controlled valve that opens and closes the external cooling loop. The thermostat is set to open when the torque converter ATF temperature reaches 150 deg. F. I'm not aware of any stock Explorer configuration that includes an external engine oil cooler. I assume that 150 deg. F. is the desired ATF temperature. I have to drive for about 20 minutes for the ATF temperature to reach 150 deg. F. Liquid to liquid coolers are more effective than air to liquid coolers so the cooler in the radiator is more effective than the cooler in front of the A/C condenser. I checked my last datalog and the max temperature for a 48 minute drive on a hot day (95 deg. F.) was 164 deg. F.

I think the desired operating temperature for engine oil is about 215 deg. F. which is why I selected the Canton Racing thermostat. The oil flows from the adapter that replaces the stock filter to the remote filter, then to the thermostat and back to the adapter. The thermostat bypasses the cooler until the temperature reaches 215 deg. F. My temperature sensor is at the input to the remote filter since that is the hottest point. As I recall it never reaches 215 deg. F. My oil pressure decreases with temperature and increases with engine speed. I use full synthetic 5W30 oil and the pressure is about 50 psi at engine start and cruise when warm. I think the pressure drops to about 25 psi at idle when warm. I installed an Accusump pre-oiler hoping to extend the life of my timing chain related components and engine bearings.

i know what im thinking haha

all im saying is to bypass the transmission cooler inside of the radiator and only running it to the external transmission cooler.

my engine coolant rides from 188 to 191. if my common sense is correct the radiator is doing nothing but possibly heating my transmission fluid because it runs at about 162.

Now dont get me wrong i will keep an eye on the transmission temp to make sure it doesnt go up from this mod.

I know i have heard of this on diesels but not sure if the same applies to gas engines.... the oil and coolant temps should be very close to each other.

already tried that

I've already tried using the radiator cooler as an engine cooler and using two ATF coolers. It didn't work. The ATF got too hot. I purchased a remote sensing thermometer and learned that my radiator temperature is typically 150 deg. F. which is just right for the ATF. Just because the thermostat is set to 190 deg. F. doesn't mean the radiator is that hot. If it were, it would not cool the engine.

Street Rod,

I know this thread is 2 months old but what size hose did you go with?

You have the V-6 correct?

I am running a 331.

Back