Shift to Park Warning | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Unfortunately I didn't report it before the warranty expired. My issue is that they cannot seem to fix it and are being extremely vague about this latest visit that still didn't fix the issue. I did the button test from above and it triggers the issue, so I'm not sure why they didn't replace the shifter as others have had done successfully and what I explained to them. Perhaps they are looking to get some money out of me for all the time they haven't charged me for. The cable adjustment and second attempt (non-TSB) were not charged to me.

The worst part was that he called me and said the vehicle was all set and ready to be picked up. Then when I got there and went to pick up the keys, he indicates they didn't fix it and will need to wait for a response from Ford and would like involve replacing the entire shifter on down. I'm no mechanic, so I'm not sure what is below the boot that he's referring to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As said many times, it is the button within the shifter, the electrical contacts within the button are malfunctioning. The button is not replaceable so you have to replace the shifter itself and only the shifter. It WILL resolve the problem.

Does anyone have the latest part numbers for the shifter and what it ran cost wise? Is this something that needs to be done by the dealer or can it be done by someone handy with ALLData access? My EX is starting to see this problem quite a bit and I have had the cable TSB done once. I am out of warranty but looking to get this fixed prior to the winter coming because it causes me remote start problems all the time.

"Shift to Park" Pain

I hope you have a better experience with your dealer then what we have had. After almost 2 years of multiple trips with increasing frequency of the problem occurring, we have just left my 2011 Explorer at the dealership with my husband very assertively telling the service manager that the only call we wanted from them this time, was to be told it was fixed! Will let you know how thus visit goes.

Welcome to the Forum GAnana.:wavey:
I assuming that ins all those trips that they never replaced the shifter. Get them to do that and your issue should be solved. As stated in several posts, the problem is with the button on shifter.

Peter

Same Issue - No Fix

I am having the same issue as well. I have taken it in now for the 4th time. First 2 times they told me the cables needed to be adjusted. The 3rd time they changed the shifter. Not even 2 weeks later the indicator is on again. Has anyone had this problem resolved? I have called customer care and I am currently waiting on a regional service manager to contact me. Just wondering if there is any hope?!?!

Update: On my 4th trip to the dealer they changed the module. 1 month later still working well. No more "shift to park" message. FINALLY!

From everything I have read on this thread, people are indicating that if you get the shifter replaced with the new part number version it should resolve the issue.

Update:

Called the dealership yesterday to find out what was done on Friday (3rd visit) and why the shifter wasn't replaced as I mentioned on multiple occasions to the service advisor since nothing else had worked and many owners have stated as much. They said they would look at the details and call me back. Surprisingly, I didn't get a call back. Only after Crystal escalated my case did the dealership call me and attempt to rectify the issue. They apparently assumed I was calling to get a discount or something because he kept stating "I'm not sure what Ford can do for this situation". I continually told him I wasn't looking for anything from Ford except to draw attention to my issue and expedite a resolution since the original service advisor was not listening to me and the second service advisor was not calling me back as he said he would.

He seemed to think the entire unit from above to below the boot needed to be replaced, to which I told him you could replace just the shifter above the boot. He still wasn't sure and was going to speak to a technician tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. I told him repeatedly I can cause the issue by turning on the car, pressing the button only (not shifting) and then turning the car off. Replacing the entire shifter assembly made no sense since it was only the button.

Thanks to Crystal, I seem to have gotten their attention and hopefully can get the shifter replaced, since the 2 cable adjustments and a 3rd procedure yielded no benefits. I'll update again once I have a resolution.

...Thanks to Crystal, I seem to have gotten their attention and hopefully can get the shifter replaced, since the 2 cable adjustments and a 3rd procedure yielded no benefits. I'll update again once I have a resolution.

I'm happy I was able to help, sclev99! Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop; just send a PM my way if I can be of further assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Had an error on our 2011 occasionally that would say something to the effect of please shift to park even though it was in Park. Took the Explorer in yesterday for an oil change, the steering recall, look at our back up camera that wasn't displaying the moving lines and this error that popped up a few times.

Service advisor said they'd seen that error a few times on Edges and Explorers. They replaced a switch I think. Anyway with around 50,000 miles I'm starting to be glad we bought the extended warranty. The switch and labor were a little over $200 with a $100 deductible . Not a lot so far but I'm seeing the trend. 2nd time we've used it in the last 2 months.

We recently had the shifter in our Ex replaced due to this Shift to Park error. Parts and labor were about $375.

After my wife got the car back I decided to do some additional testing of my own. Turns out though, they used the wrong shifter as the manual shift mode no longer works. Took it back in, they claim that the wrong part was ordered or delivered, they aren't sure. But the part they put in doesn't have the 'component' for the manual shifting. They claim that the correct part is backordered and they don't know when it will be available.

Good news is, we don't get the Shift to Park error any more. Bad news, they used the wrong part and removed functionality...

Taking my 2012 Explorer Limited with 26k miles in tomorrow to Sawgrass Ford for this same issue. It's been worse and worse the last several weeks, to the point where I had to restart the car 3 or 4 times and put it in and out of park just to get rid of the screen.

Wish me luck!

Taking my 2012 Explorer Limited with 26k miles in tomorrow to Sawgrass Ford for this same issue. It's been worse and worse the last several weeks, to the point where I had to restart the car 3 or 4 times and put it in and out of park just to get rid of the screen.

Wish me luck!

Keep us posted, explorernoles. I'll check in to see how things go at the dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Wish me luck!

You do not need to put it in and out of park. As stated in this thread many times, it is the button itself on the shifter. Push the shifter button in or tap it with your finger a few times while in Park and it will clear the message out. No need to take it out and put it back in Drive/Park.

Keep us posted, explorernoles. I'll check in to see how things go at the dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks, Crystal! Just to update, the good news is when I took it in this morning the service guy helping me said they've seen this problem before and didn't have to go into detail of what I was experiencing. The bad news is, they had to order a new shifter and it's on backorder. So we'll have to wait a couple weeks before we can see this fixed.

Blwnsmoke is correct. As he has stated many times, the only way, and I mean the only way to to fix this issue, is to replace the shifter. That's it. Ford will do this when you tell them what is happening. I had mine replaced earlier this year and no problems since.

I joined after finding this fourm. We have a 2011 ford explorer ltd that has the shift to park issue along with a water leak issue around the 3rd row seat. Our explorer ran out of warranty in June because of the 3 year mark not due to mileage we have less than 29k miles on it and all our issues began after June of course. My local dealer wants $80 just to troubleshoot this issue and provide an estimate to fix. I am extremely frustrated that you pay 40K+ for a vehicle that has this many issues. I talked to Ford this morning about the issues and all I got was a recommendation to take my explorer to the dealer and pay them to give me the estimate to fix the issue. This is dissapointing to me that there is a clear product issue that needs to be addressed by Ford and they will not step up and address it!!

I joined after finding this fourm. We have a 2011 ford explorer ltd that has the shift to park issue along with a water leak issue around the 3rd row seat. Our explorer ran out of warranty in June because of the 3 year mark not due to mileage we have less than 29k miles on it and all our issues began after June of course. My local dealer wants $80 just to troubleshoot this issue and provide an estimate to fix. I am extremely frustrated that you pay 40K+ for a vehicle that has this many issues. I talked to Ford this morning about the issues and all I got was a recommendation to take my explorer to the dealer and pay them to give me the estimate to fix the issue. This is dissapointing to me that there is a clear product issue that needs to be addressed by Ford and they will not step up and address it!!

First I'd PM Crystal on here and she'll get you to your regional manager. Both of these issues are heavily documented and Ford should step up and get this covered for you. It's not like this is a one off problem..

Crystal, help them out :thumbsup:

I joined after finding this fourm. We have a 2011 ford explorer ltd that has the shift to park issue along with a water leak issue around the 3rd row seat...

Welcome to the forum, dnewell! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Send a private message (PM) my way with your details and I'll see how I can help. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

First I'd PM Crystal on here and she'll get you to your regional manager. Both of these issues are heavily documented and Ford should step up and get this covered for you. It's not like this is a one off problem..

Crystal, help them out :thumbsup:

I'm on it, blwnsmoke! :D

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated! i will send Crystal a PM...thanks Blwnsmoke

Back