Shifter bushing replacement problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shifter bushing replacement problem

1996B4000

Reaction score
City, State
Heathsville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 B4000 LE
1996 B4000 manual transmission

Shifter is a bit sloppy so I decided to replace the shifter bushings, bought kit that contains all new parts plus instructions.

Started to replace the shifter bushings, everything went smoothly until I got to the place about remove the two little pins in which the shifter rides. I figured it would be a simple job -- put a punch against the inner end of the pin, tap with hammer and out pops the pin.

Did not work. Got a bigger punch, bigger hammer. Pin did not move. Tried punch and hammer on the other pin. Did not move. Tried an even bigger punch and hammer. Neither pin moved. I was concerned that I would break a pin or distort the housing, so, I quit, put the old parts back on.

QUESTIONS:
1. So how do I get the pins out?
2. Seems as though the pins must come out so I can replace the bushings and washers that are below the pins. Both pins are in good shape, not broken. Is it possible to fish out the bushings, washers, etc. that are below the pins and replace them without removing the pins?

Thanks.

The times I’ve done new bushings, the pins tapped out with minor persuasion. Maybe try some PB blaster on them and let it soak overnight? Maybe try to pry them out with a flat screwdriver and hammer from the outside, I think there’s a head on them. Or, since you have it apart that far, see if you’re able to twist and turn the old bushings out and the new ones in?

Back