• Register Today It's free!

shifter bushings

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
Major slop in the shifter while in gear. My local part stores dont seem to even know what these things are. I dont want to go to the dealer... Kinda a far drive. Where the heck do i order a stock replacement kit. All i can find online are performance bushing that only come with the bushings. Please dont say ebay. I wont order anything from FEEbay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought mine at the dealer and the price wasn't too bad. You might be able to find some on RockAuto or 1AAuto, but I'm not sure.

I wont order anything from FEEbay

You do know they only charge the stupid fees when you are selling, right? Buying doesn't add any fees.

I wont order anything from FEEbay
Your loss, good luck on your search.

You can get the shifter bushings from Ford, or just buy a shifter kit for the M5OD. They are both the same thing, just 2 urethane/plastic bushings, spring washers, and pins if needed.

Replacing them does make a difference, especially if it's never been done since they are usually either gone or broken. Be careful when changing them so you don't drop pieces into the transmission. If you do, you'll want to change the fluid out shortly afterwards in hopes the pieces fell in and went to the bottom and will drain out.

You can buy the bushings through our forum vendor dealers, Tousley Ford or Ford Super Center.

allstategear.com also has a kit for ~$14:

http://www.allstategear.com/M50D Shifter Repair Kit.htm

Thanks Anime.. Much help

I'll throw a thank you in here. I replaced mine today. Took about 30 minutes taking my time. Hardest part was getting the pins out. Needed major persuading to bang them out.
I must say it's a night & day difference. Impressed the shifter actually feels decent.
That allstategear place however sucks. They did come, but Zero communication, no order confirm, no shipping notice & no response to any email I sent them.

I finally got around to ordering the kit. Ordered from the link provided by Anime. Cheap enough and the website said 7-10 days for delivery. was here in 6. Watched the video from the link also provided by Anime and it was a super easy install. My torque bits came out very easy. Did the whole job in about 10 minutes.

I must say "WHAT A NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!" I have been driving this with that slop in it for almost 2 years now. I forgot what it felt like to have it all tight again. I was actually nervous the first few times letting the clutch out. Wasn't sure if I even had the right gear! Probably the best $20 I have EVER spent on my rig.

Thanks again for all the info Anime!

They will loosen up a little. It won't feel that way for long. I'd say around Christmas mine was noticeably looser then when they were new.

I installed shifter bushings and now my 1991 ford explorer gear shifter won't shift what can I do to fix the problem?

What gear do you have th have the truck in?and pulled the shaft out, I pulled it out and I don't know gear it's in. Now when I replace bushings the shifter will not shift. What can I do?

It should only come out with the shifter in neutral, but if you had it in a gear and removed it, you need to put it back in the same way.

You can remove the shifter and use a small flashlight to look down into the transmission and see where the slot for the shifter is, then position the shaft accordingly when you put it back in.

Or pieces of the old bushings fell into the trans & is causing it to bind.

If dropped piec s are causing it to bind up, what can be done other than dropping the tranny and basically rebuilding?

If dropped piec s are causing it to bind up, what can be done other than dropping the tranny and basically rebuilding?

What pieces? The earlier post above mentioned bushing pieces. The bushings are plastic, I don't think they would cause anything to bind up. They would just get chewed up by gears.

Yer right it's plastic except for the two split ring looking springs that go under the bushing. And someone else said it would get bound up. I'm just wondering how to resolve the binding since I seem to have run into the same issue. Replaced bushings, no more sloppy gear shift. Also no dang gears. Can't get into a single one. It was in neutral when taken apart, shifter goes right into the hole with no issue, but no gear selection available.

Dumb question, but are you sure you installed correctly? It maybe a pretty straight forward install but its possible you goofed. Take it apart and give another go to make sure you installed all the parts correctly.

Bumping this...almost 4 years & I have to do this AGAIN. I'm not sure why. The shifter bushing on the left side seems to be gone. The stick tilts left when in N & there's so much slop I almost can't shift it.
I found the Doorman version locally for $18. So I bought this one. Is it the same as the Allstate gear one? The packing is different.
The one from Allstate shouldn't have broke in 4 years & maybe only 10K miles. I don't drive my X daily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What broke? Or did the plastic just wear?
Do you by chance drive with your hand resting on the shifter a lot?

Back