• Register Today It's free!

Shifter linkage

rodb

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
My steering wheel mounter shifter seems like its getting harder to move to drive and back to park, does this area need to be lubricated somewhere? Its on a '91 Explorer 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the shifter does is pull on a cable running to the left side of the transmission. Disconnect the cable at the shift lever on the side of the transmission. I'm not sure exactly how but if u look at it, its pretty easy to figure out. Then with it disconnected, shift the column shifter. It should be really easy to pull. If it is, the problem may be in your xmsn. Good luck

The shift linkage is pretty simple. Like Themightyquinn said, just disconnect the shifter linkage at the transmission (just pop off the ball joint) and see if the cable feels free. That would tell you if the cable itself is binding up, in which case you should check for mechanical damage to the cable and sheath.

If the cable moves freely, then your shift linkage may be out of adjustment. There's an adjustment lock clip (white plastic) near where the linkage connects to the transmission that you can unlock by pushing it up out of its groove. Once that lock clip is fully disengaged you can slide the adjuster back and forth. You would want to synchronize your shifter inside the cabin and your shift arm on the transmission this way. Standard procedure per Ford is to put a 10lb weight on the shift lever while it's in Drive, put the trans shift arm on Drive, then connect the ball joint and lock the adjuster clip. I have had better luck adjusting it in Park though, as synchronizing the linkage in Drive caused binding. I simply set the inside shifter and trans shift arm both to Park with the cable adjuster clip unlocked, then attached the ball joint, then locked down the adjuster clip. Fixed my linkage problem, as it was hard to pull out of Park before.

Which ball joint do I remove, the upper white one or the lower black one, and what holds either of these in place as I don't see what secures them. Can you direct me to a photo indicating which one.

If you send me your email address I can email you pictures and full instructions.

Back