• Register Today It's free!

Manual 5 speed shift linkage.

Wikedxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Denver Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I own a 91 Explorer Sport with a recently replaced 5spd transmission but now its stuck in 2nd do to a stupid night with someone kickin the shifter to the point where it wont move.... I took it to a guy who disassembled it by removing the shifter and all and said all i need to do is replace the shift linkage on the top of the tranni. I took it back from the guy with the intention of doin it myself. Does anyone have any experience with replacing that and may be able to advise me on how to do so?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no shift linkage....

It's an internal rail shifting mechanism. The top plate houses the 3 shift rails, and they correspond with 3 gear selectors, where the 6 synchros help selecting the gear.

If your internal rails are damaged, the tranny has to come down to replace it. It MAY not have to be totally removed, but it does need to be lowered to get to all the bolts.

I have a spare one that I will sell you...PM me for details.

Ryan

Miracle on Purdue Pl!!!!

Okay, I did this by only dropping the tranny and had plenty of room, so I pulled the top cover off to find the shift rails, I was then able to discover what exactly the problem was. Circled in the red is the problem, a whole piece of where the shift paddle makes contact was sheered off!!!! I got myself a retractable magnet at the Advanced Auto and fished out that broken piece, took a minute but soon enough I got it out.

old
fordexpart.jpg

new
fordex2.jpg

So I went to the junk yard, bought a new one off a '98 Explorer, new potential problem, circled in the yellow you'll see.... The new top cover only has one sensor!!!! On the old part, it bolted in the side while the new doesnt even present that option...... (could anyone explain this to me?)

After consulting with a transmission tech at a Ford dealer, we figured out what the sensors were for and which was which. The one circled in yellow is the neutral position sensor/safety switch, and the one on the opposite side is the reverse sensor operating your reverse lights...

I felt that I personally dont need the neutral position sensor, its not like the truck wont run without it so I went ahead and installed the new part, little trouble gettin it right but finally got it so that i could shift through all gears, put everything else back together and started her up and had no problems driving it, went through each gear just fine.

Thank you Spdrcer34, you got me into the whole thing and by simply explaining what was what I was able to communicate what I needed ultimately gettin my truck fixed!!!!

You are welcome.

I'm glad you got it fixed, and everything is as it should be!

Just be careful.....those transmissions are not as strong as people would like them to be.

I broke 3 in 2 years..

Ryan

:salute: Ill be careful no worries. Now what do I dedicate my time too!!??

Modify the ThrottleBody!....

Ryan

Back