• Register Today It's free!

Shifting Problem

99ExploratorySUV

Reaction score
City, State
Voorhees, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 SOHC XLT
Hey guys, I just wanted to see if anyone could help me with this. It's not too serious yet, but lately, whenever I shift my truck from park to drive, or reverse to drive, and go right for the gas, there is a hesitation, as if it hasn't fully shifted yet; and then it engages, and makes a clunking noise, and the car lurches forward. I've been going easy on the gas when I do this so as not to damage anything, but it's a problem when say, I'm on an incline and I have to shift into drive. If I immediately give it gas, it struggles to engage in drive, and then does with a clunking sound and jumps forward. I was suspecting maybe worn U-joints? Once in Drive, however, everything operates normally, transmission works just fine. It's just the shifting into Drive that is a problem. The car's a 99 XLT SOHC 4x4 with 139,000 miles. Any feedback is appreciated. :D

-Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fluid level? When was the last time the fluid, and filter were replaced? You might find this article interesting: Dead Link Removed. This is # 62 in my list of useful threads. This transmission relies on electronics, and hydraulics to function properly.

Not too sure when it was last replaced, but the fluid level is fine, I've checked it recently, and it doesn't look dirty or discolored.

This chart is # 34 in my list of useful threads:
trannyfluid.jpg

So, fresh fluid should be reddish in color? The only thing is that the trans shifts perfectly on its own. Its just when going into drive, it seems like it takes a little time to actually transfer to the wheels. You think U-joints or anything with the driveshaft would be to blame?

No. I would think that it might be related to loose valve body bolts, low EPC pressure, leaking valve body end plugs, bad valve body gaskets, boost valve, or possibly bad filter O rings. You should have Mercon V transmission fluid. Lubegard sells an additive to add friction modifier to the fluid.

Back