• Register Today It's free!

Shifting Problems

EXPLORINGVA

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsburg, VA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL 2WD 5 Spd
5 SPD, clutch pedal is very loose, seems that pressure is almost gone. Changed clutch/slave/throwout/pilot 2 years ago. noticed pressure decreasing two days ago, last night had to pump clutch to get it to dis-engage. Could the slave cyl. have been a POS and is going south already. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Bill.

Check your fluid levels first. Next, give Curtis Price a call. He is out in Va Beach, his pops used to work on racing trannys. He did my tranny for a good price and he knows the explorers like no tomorrow. Give him a ring and describe the problem. Tell him Rick and Steve said hi! Im the guy with the white limited, lol... he will laugh.

http://www.pricestransmissions.com/

Its common for the slave to stick. Price can flush, clean, and treat... but it will more than likely need a new one. A new clutch and new slave is a lot cheaper than the whole shabang.

I best guess, new clutch or just low fluid.

Did you get the master cylinder seal fixed at the dealer? I would do that soon if you havent... it was a recall a while ago. Beach Ford are decent people.

Keep us updated!

URBANISTIC
The clutch is fine. I'm not loosing any fluid in the master, i'm guessing a seal went in the p.o.s. slave cylinder. ???????????? Is that possible?

Ths is where it can get sticky.If you are comfortable with checking your travel, I canwalk you through the steps. On the side of the tranny, there is a rubber port to allow you to check the bearing travel. This is really the next step I would take to find out if your problem is with the hydro or with the clutch plates. You do need a tool, its a Position Bearing Travel Guage Tool.

Now keep in mind that as the clutch gets used and abused, the fluid will actually be pushed back into the res. and make it appear as if there is nothing wrong.

When you take the measurements, then you will know if its a problem with the plates or not. Thats an important step.

In the meantime, I would check your whole system for leaks. Its not hard to trace.

Contamination in the line can also cause this kind of problem.

also have a feeling that you may just need to bleed the system. I have the steps I can email you for that if you would like. You need a coupler tool to do it. That may remedy the problem like that. May just be air in the system. It happens.

Back