Shipping | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shipping

What train route is usually used from Chicago to Northern California? Out Explorer left Chicago a couple days ago, and my dealer tells me it's in Indiana today. Seems like that is going the wrong direction?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What train route is usually used from Chicago to Northern California? Out Explorer left Chicago a couple days ago, and my dealer tells me it's in Indiana today. Seems like that is going the wrong direction?
For some reason Indiana seems to ring a bell and no, it isn't the song.;)

Peter

Vehicle tracking at cotusford.com is far from exact. The route is, but the timeline is hardly ever spot on. It often takes days to update the system and the vehicle is often Delivered and still showing in transit. But...there are a few times when it's correct...

My dealer has a way of tracking the actual train car that our unit is on. That system updates weekdays and shows what state the rail car is in. For instance, Thursday night ours was in the western side of Nebraska.

although Ford's vehiclevisibility site (internal site which dealers use)
shows the rail-car nr. any given vehicle may be sitting in, the system itself is not as accurate as one may think, as i explained above

Our Explorer was in Elko Nevada this morning. Anybody know about how many days from there to the distribution depot in Milpitas, CA? We would love to pick it up this Sunday.

Apparently our Explorer arrived at the Milpitas CA holding center on Monday night. Anybody have any idea how long before an auto transport will take it to a dealer that's not far from there?

StevenC56: There is no way of telling unless you work in the Office doing the final convoy scheduling. They do however wait till a load of vehicles goes to your dealer, or your dealer is on the route they take for making several stops. Last time i had ordered a vehicle, it sat around 3-4 days, waiting for it's final 2 hour trip by convoy once it's been unloaded at the rail-yard. They WILL deliver all vehicles as fast as they can and is in their own best interest. Everything has a reason and cant be rushed, so might as well relax....

StevenC56: There is no way of telling unless you work in the Office doing the final convoy scheduling. They do however wait till a load of vehicles goes to your dealer, or your dealer is on the route they take for making several stops. Last time i had ordered a vehicle, it sat around 3-4 days, waiting for it's final 2 hour trip by convoy once it's been unloaded at the rail-yard. They WILL deliver all vehicles as fast as they can and is in their own best interest. Everything has a reason and cant be rushed, so might as well relax....

You just confirmed exactly what my wife and I had discussed last night about how they probably do this. Just really excited about our new ride. (Actually my wife's new ride) Just tough since the holding area is only 25 miles from our dealer!

Seems to have reverted back to awaiting shipment now. How is that? I doubt they shipped it back to Chicago. My dealer has several Explorers that have been delivered to a holding area close to them, and they all changed back to this status as of today.

awaiting shipment is usually what you see once vehicles have been released from the plants....just ignore it.
Mine shows In Production and i know thats not the case till the 30th
Where do you get your info from, http://www.cotus.ford.com/ ?
Just ran my VIN at cotus. Not much info there but better then nothing.....

awaiting shipment is usually what you see once vehicles have been released from the plants....just ignore it.
Mine shows In Production and i know thats not the case till the 30th
Where do you get your info from, http://www.cotus.ford.com/ ?
Just ran my VIN at cotus. Not much info there but better then nothing.....

Yes-Checking on the Cotus website with our VIN. Production date was 3/10 and was awaiting shipping after that. Changed to in transit on 3/12 and my dealer was able to track the train it was on. The train arrived in Mipitas CA 3/20. Still showed in transit the last few days until last night it reverted back to awaiting shipping and there's no ETA for arrival at my dealer or days left until delivery anymore like there had been.

I'd start driving by the dealer whenever you're close by and check if it's there. Often times vehicles have actually been delivered and the system still shows in transit for couple more days. As i said before, this is not a system with actual live info. It's updated after the fact and not 100% accurate.
Once they're released to be shipped, Ford itself basically has no control over it and depends on
the outsorced shipping companies, either rail or convoy, for updates

although Ford's vehiclevisibility site (internal site which dealers use)
shows the rail-car nr. any given vehicle may be sitting in, the system itself is not as accurate as one may think, as i explained above

The dealers internal tracking system is very accurate and is updated many times a day.

Here is my fusion on order and you can see the date/times it is updated. It is actually quite amazing how exact their tracking system is while it is on the move.

Screenshot_20170325-230358_zps3xd9nycm.png

Screenshot_20170325-230638_zpsyond0m9z.png

Screenshot_20170325-230650_zpszi3qzjwd.png

Super. I'd be interested to see what vehiclevisibility shows after it arrives at the railyard, while waiting for it's final trip to the dealer and if it shows" delivered" on the day it is, or 1-3 days later.

Super. I'd be interested to see what vehiclevisibility shows after it arrives at the railyard, while waiting for it's final trip to the dealer and if it shows" delivered" on the day it is, or 1-3 days later.

As of that tracking, it is off the train and waiting for Cooper to deliver it via truck. This is the waiting game that I know you mentioned above. My guy out in MI will text me as soon as it arrives so I'll be sure to look up the screen shot to see what it shows and report back.

I remember when I ordered my Explorer it was the same thing coming out to NH but again, once it is in the truckers hands, it just sits idle online until it is on the move so there definitely is a lull.

When I ordered my F350, it was as you speak... "released from plant" which puts it in Cooper's hands.. and then nothing until it is on the truck from the factory (6 hour truck ride from plant to my guy). And even when it is on the truck, there are no checkpoints like the train system so it is a mystery for the most part beyond the ETA.

Ours took 6 days by rail to get from Chicago to the holding area in Milpitas CA. It's now been sitting there for 6 days and it's only 35 miles from the dealership!

Here is another one showing the production of the vehicle.. This is the difference between a salesman and an exceptional salesman that keeps the customer in the loop. Many will tell you they don't have access to this just so they don't have to bother.

Screenshot_20170326-110216_zpsgmkkpa5p.png

Ours took 6 days by rail to get from Chicago to the holding area in Milpitas CA. It's now been sitting there for 6 days and it's only 35 miles from the dealership!

Yup.. that's what sucks.. they have to wait for a truck full to get you your vehicle as they won't just bring 1 to the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup.. that's what sucks.. they have to wait for a truck full to get you your vehicle as they won't just bring 1 to the dealership.

Not sure how many fit on a transport, but my dealer has at least 6 other vehicles sitting at the holding area along with ours. Seems like they just don't have the capacity to move them all that fast.

Back