Shock Rates and Lengths | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock Rates and Lengths

Shock extenders just wont give you enough travel... Those stock shocks have plent yup travel but not much down travel... you need to get a shock that has a longer extended length and a equal or shorter collapsed length.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

may have issues.. i decide to use the local shop to align my x.. its amazing it only really needs shocks and A tie-rod.. (not all the ball joints like firestone tried to get me to replace that i just replaced not that long ago). After i got the alginment done since i had the lift i decide to play with the stock..

I took a stack of washers 1" tall and put them on the stud and tighted it up. roll the spindle... it worked (so i went a 1/4" at a time upwards). a but at an angle to say the least.. but at at 2 BIND on the drivers side.. not the passenger...so i started thinking.....

wonder what woulder happen if i dropped the front diff and inch or so. Mind you i am getting uni uppers first... and after all that playing i still forgot to remeasure for front shocks.. anyone know the stock length?

So you spaced out the upper ball joint or the upper shock mount? Whats up with all teh ... i dont read ... well.

uppper shcok mount.. it pita a jacking the shock up enough to start a couple of threads with those washers on there. gonna stop by fastenol and see what they got for some bolt 25 mm longer that stock to drop the diff one inch and see what that does.

Keep you minion angles right or you will get some nice vibes.

testing the shocks out

Ok i installed the rears shocks.. waiting still on the front.. (thinking of going with cheapo's till my sas is done.)

a shot of the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_0061_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0061_640x480.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 143

ordered shock hoops for the front.. when they get here i'll mock them up and order my front shocks... thinking of going cheap on them and waiting till i decide wether or not i ama gonna sas or do the superlift in the front.

ok. opinions single or duel shocks up front if i run duels no swap bar cause that is where the second one would mount. Not much harder for me. since i ordered a BTF shock hoop yesterday. But would it be worth it? or instead of 2 - 5100 series on each wheel get one 7100 series?

one 7100 would work better IMO because you can get it valved better to your vehicle, plus they are also rebuildable. I have a friend with the same front end kit as me with the dual 5100s as opposed to my single 2.5 and mine is much smoother and handles better

u ordered a premade shock hoop to fit the shocks that you dont have yet? i hope your measurements are all good and u get the travel inprovements cause if the hoops are the wrong set for the shocks then...uh.... yeah

no its a universal kit you cut to what you need. weld it up. i need to get the shocks next.. still waiting on the uniball uppers. if i could weld or was back home i could have made my own by now.. hint lee hint...

not to come on in but i gotta couple questions. WHat about this lifetime alighnemnt, never heard of it...can i get details on that. Second, my shocks are shot pretty much as of sundays trail run in washington...yeah i hit a speed bump and my tires just BOUNCE a lot. What would be a good yet inexpensive shock to buy that fits a vehicle lifted 4 inches? Im thinkin no more than 50 bucks a shock btw.

sikamikanico816 said:
hey, what kinda welding did you do for the mounts? mig? tig? gas? im thinkin of doin some of my own fabrication.

umm dont know the answer but i think him said arc weld. or stick.. something like that i am having then welded on. Cause i cant weld worth a bean

[QUOTE='97 V8]not to come on in but i gotta couple questions. WHat about this lifetime alighnemnt, never heard of it...can i get details on that. Second, my shocks are shot pretty much as of sundays trail run in washington...yeah i hit a speed bump and my tires just BOUNCE a lot. What would be a good yet inexpensive shock to buy that fits a vehicle lifted 4 inches? Im thinkin no more than 50 bucks a shock btw.[/QUOTE]

the lifetime alignment thing... call firestone.. they do it once you pay a little more and you can bring it in and they will realign it for life.. didn't get it done since the local shop was tryin to rip me off. shocks = ranchos at sears :) sears are everywhere and they have a life time warrenty thats what i did on my wifes jeep and i got them changed 3 times.

John once you get soem non-stock shocks the sway bar isnt as necessary... i got soem Ranchos up front and the control the suspension movement enough that i dont use the sway bar on the road anymore.

on the swap bar it on after i run when i remember to put it back on... right now i think the drivers side is still off from measuring for shocks :) ands its been a few weeks

gotta um

i got the shock hoops in today.

Attachments

• IMG_0087_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0087_640x480.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 104

Back