Shocks are fully extended :/ replacements?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shocks are fully extended :/ replacements??

thatoneguy

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4.0L OHV
Alrighty so I was looking around the site to try and find an answer to my problem but I haven't found one. :(

I bought Rancho 5000's from Summit Racing. My stock OEM ones have never been replaced and since I've lifted the Explorer they were fully extended; needed new ones. Anyways, I installed the shocks no problem. The front ones went on fine and work great but the back ones are to short :wtf: they're fully extended so when I go over speedbumps or even hit a slight dip in the road the rear thumps. When I ordered them the site asked how much lift I had, the highest I could go was 2.5" probably my first mistake right there :rolleyes:

I have 3" Fabtech Spindles up front, 2" torsion twist. In the rear a 4 door leaf pack, 2" add-a-leaf that came with the spindles and warrior shackles.

I've been looking around at Fabtech and Bistien's but I'm still kind of lost as to what size shocks I need :scratch:

I would suggest taking a look in a shock catalog and see if you can match one up exactly the same as what you have (double-eye mounting), but 3" longer.

Ones made for a 3-4" lift might be what you're after.

Thats how I chose mine. I went to gorancho.com, grabbed the catalog from them, found the stock shocks for the rear of the X and noted the mount types and the extended and compressed length.

I then scoured the catalog for another pair of shocks that had the same type of mounts But had a extnded length of at least 4" longer with a compressed length no more than 4" longer.

I don't care if the shock extends too far, but it needs to be able to compress without bottoming out.

This was for our 4" lift. (hence the 4" difference). Since the shocks aren't exact straight up/down, you have a little fudge room, but not much (on the compressed side, I'd ignore any fudge room).

~Mark

Back