• Register Today It's free!

shocks???

Cynthia'in'SD

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4x4 Sport
Ok I was thinking of getting pro comp es9000's. Are they for a lifted vehicle, also are they really rough? Some off road driving, do not want really stiff shocks. Are gabriel vst's better? Would go with bilstein or OME if I wanted to spend over $200, but do not want to spend that kind of $$$. If I get the extension for the gabriels how much travel will I have and how much travel will the pro comps give me? Thanks
Cynthia

I am really happy with the 9000s I just put on my '94, but I am no car expert and these are the first 'premium' type shocks I have ever used, so I can't compare them to anything else but stock. I don't think they are at all too stiff for highway driving. My wife drives the Explorer more than I do, and she says they ride better. They do make them for lifted applications look here http://www.explorerprocomp.com/shockapps.htm
These shocks do not come with poly bushings, though, as do some of the other big names.

Good luck!

Don't get RS9000's, consider Gabriel VST's

I have RS9000's on my 97 Ranger, and they're perfect for a pickup. When I carry something heavy in back, I crank them up. Excellent stability and control.

HOWEVER - it rides like a truck. I have no idea what the ES9000's are, but for that price, they are not a "premium" shock. See the pricing on the Monroe's below.

My wife's 98 Explorer blew the factory (very crummy) shocks at 26K. I put on $38/ea Monroe SensaTracs. They lasted about 40K, probably should have replaced them at 35K.

They improved the right somewhat, and totally eliminated the side-to-side roll the factory shocks allowed. Big improvement. However, they are street shocks and were not up to the abuse of all the offroading we do.

I want to get either the new Explorer ProComp monotube adjustables ($90 each) or the new SwayAway large bore offroad shocks. Explorers seem to be low on the list for these new products, and I'm not inclined to settle for Bilstein's. Hurry up and wait.

SO - I went to Pep Boys and got 4 Gabriel VST's for $86 out the door. I won't feel bad throwing them away when the real shocks come in.

They, like the factory shocks and the Monroe's, are too short. The front shocks are about .5 - .67" too short, but that's life. I haven't seen the extensions you mentioned, but that's a good idea if you have any kind of lift.

The ride quality is very good, probably because the Monroe's were pretty shot by the time I swapped them.

You get what you pay for in shocks, as in tires. Figure montoubes or adjustable twin-tubes at $75 or so each (e.g. Bilstein or Rancho RS9000) and adjustable monotubes at >$90.

For $20 a piece, the Gabriels are a darn good step up from the factory $5 shocks.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Back