• Register Today It's free!

Shopping around...

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
So I'm looking to buy an old mustang. For a few reasons, first of all because I want something with some zip and the Ex, as much as I love it, doesn't provide that. Second, I want a car with a manual now that I know how to drive one :p:.

I found an 85 GT for 3000. The ad claims to have many performance parts added to the engine and suspension. It has some front end damage the seller claims is all cosmetic but I''m not too concerned because it's going to be a cheap toy. Some other problems I noticed are that the ad says the engine has 28k on it and there is no VIN listed.

Cars.com Link

I asked about it on MustangForums and was told by a member to stay away from it. I know a lot of you all have mustangs so i was hoping you could help me out... Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Link's not working... but stay away from that car. It's probably a salvage or worse. Look elsewhere.

They were still carburated in '85, er if I remember correctly some had the central FI but that may have been only convertibles... anyway if you are going to get one go for a '87 and newer. The '86 had the same FI as the '87+ but had a smaller throttle body and the heads aren't as good as the '87+. The front rotors on the '87 are larger then the '86 so the brakes are much better. That being said, that generation of mustang are known for having very poor brakes.

Too bad you weren't around here, I have an '87 for sale.

I tried your link but it didn't work for me...

Thanks guys. Anyone else have any comments? I feel like I can get it down to like ~2500 if I make a fuss about the money I need to put into it to make it look normal again... Link fixed also.

Ah ha! I see... Shouldn't take too much work to get it back in shape, looks like a fender, bumper cover, rebar & bumpershock maybe and maybe a little pull... wouldn't be able to say until you get the front end apart.

Might be a nice car, sounds like it has an engine out of an '88 and a fair bit of work done. Can't hurt to e-mail the guy for clarification...

Why no pics of the passenger side? And how come the plate is covered, but on the car in front, not covered? No interior pic? I say walk away.

Why no pics of the passenger side? And how come the plate is covered, but on the car in front, not covered? No interior pic? I say walk away.

No passenger side pics because the bush is there and he was lazy. The plates aren't covered in the car in front due to oversight (can barely read it anyway). No idea about the interior pics. That's just all speculation though. I decided against it though. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for a better deal on something newer probably.

Back