Should I buy a 2012 Explorer Limited with 106,000km? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy a 2012 Explorer Limited with 106,000km?

Rashar

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Pontiac Montana
Greetings from Ontario Canada!

I'm seriously contemplating on whether or not I should be buying a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited Edition AWD vehicle with 106,000 km (65,000 miles). My concern is the km in this matter. The vehicle is super clean and beautiful. The dealer had started it up (sounds amazing) but I have yet to test drive it as it just came in the shop tonight and still needs to be detailed by the Ford dealer.

My question is, should I be concerned about the high km?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Black Book average asking price in my area is $31,900 with 76,000 km. Hopefully the price from the dealer has been adjusted down for the excess mileage. Who did the servicing, was it done as scheduled, can the dealer give you a service record for it? Was it a lemon for the PO so he ditched it early? Accident repairs. Some of the q's to ask.

Depending on when it was purchased (a 2012 purchased in 2013 for example) it might have had one less year's exposure to salt.

I'm new to Explorers, so hopefully others will fill in the specifics on higher mileage Ex's, but often they are highway miles, which are "sweeter" than the same mileage put on in mixed and city driving.

Those are great questions that I will be sure to ask the dealer thank you. They did say it was originally purchased and serviced there so I will ask for those records. They are asking $25,999 for it.

Do a VIN search see if there have been any accidents, as well read the section of this forum that talks about TSB's.

Educate yourself on what to look for.

Especially 2011/12 vehicles which were the first and second year production where the most TSB's were generated.

For that kind of mileage you better be getting it dirt cheap.

Who owned the vehicle? Was it personally owned, or was it a corporate vehicle? We run that many miles (30,000+/year) on our company vehicles. If it was a corporate vehicle, or from some kind of fleet, I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Don't do it!

Depends on it's duties. If it was all highway driving - it's probably in great running condition.

but if it saw constant stop and go and towing and harsh driving...then no. Do they know the history on it?

Greetings from Ontario Canada!

I'm seriously contemplating on whether or not I should be buying a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited Edition AWD vehicle with 106,000 km (65,000 miles). My concern is the km in this matter. The vehicle is super clean and beautiful. The dealer had started it up (sounds amazing) but I have yet to test drive it as it just came in the shop tonight and still needs to be detailed by the Ford dealer.

My question is, should I be concerned about the high km?

Thanks in advance.

106,000 km.....that's nothing. I have over 205,000 km on mine. To answer your question; ONLY IF YOU ARE PAYING CASH!

Back