• Register Today It's free!

Shudder when shifting into OD

superinstaller

Reaction score
City, State
columbia,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 1996
My 06 Eb v8 w a 6r60 has a very noticable tranny chatter or shutter when attempting to move to od, if i hit the switch on the shifter it stops immeadiatly
Then if i unlock the od switch it goes to od and works fine unless i add load or go up hills, is it just a valve or selinoid maybe, everything else seems perfect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start with a transmission fluid/filter change. Sounds like the issue is internal with the OD clutches slipping too much and unable to lockup. Check for metal in the fluid when doing the change to make sure that it is nothing serious. Also, I would always drive with OD off until you get a chance to change the fluid otherwise you may end up completely killing OD on the transmission.

Tks Gibby, im getting my guy to drive it w a scanner, before i do anything else.

Got lucky he said the tranny was fine and said swap the plugs , 100 bucks for motorcraft plugs and it looks like it fixed the problem.

Got lucky he said the tranny was fine and said swap the plugs , 100 bucks for motorcraft plugs and it looks like it fixed the problem.

My wife's seems to do the same thing, waiting to hear back from dealer. Mine has 87,000 miles on it, how many did yours have? She "thought" it didn't do it when the overdrive was off. No check engine light at the moment, granted could still see codes. Praying it could just use some plugs.....

Back