Shuddering

Macnerd

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

I've mentioned this in another thread but really haven't seen anything online that's quite what I'm having happen with my Explorer and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

When my Explorer hasn't completely warmed up (anything below ~half on the temp gauge) it will shudder violently when not accelerating if above ~35 MPH. Soon as it warms up it's fine other than it randomly hard shifting which (i think?) is an entirely different problem.

When it's shuddering the digital RPM gauge fluctuates noticeably, and you can see the AWD Gauge fluctuate as well. It feels driveline related, you can feel it throughout the car. It feels like the thing is going to fall apart. Has anyone experience anything like this? Very difficult to get the dealership to diagnose with me because the car has to have been sitting for several hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know what it might be but why not get your camera and video the shuddering, show the tachometer and gauges.
Maybe your wife or a friend could film while you drive.
That might help the Dealer to see what you experience, I've caught problems on camera in the past with good results at the Dealer.
You could also send a Vehicle Health Report from the car when this happens, it might catch something. (2016 Owner's Manual pg 460)

Could you drop it at the dealer's lot the night before, and meet the tech at your appointment time the next day for a test drive? Inconvenient, but at least it will definitely be ice cold.

Could you drop it at the dealer's lot the night before, and meet the tech at your appointment time the next day for a test drive? Inconvenient, but at least it will definitely be ice cold.

I'm trying to work on the scheduling of this, it's difficult to say the least because the service department is usually closed on one of the two days off I get from work and they won't give me a loaner until the car has been diagnosed (which they say will take 1-2 days.) Also, the morning after making this post I couldn't get the car to replicate the issue to make a video. I love intermittent problems!!

My 2015 Expl XLT started doing this exact same thing when I am stopped, in forward drive, foot on the brake, AC on most likely and there is a shudder felt through steering wheel and brake pedal. Does not happen all the time and not all that much really, but the shudder goes away instantly when I VERY briefly lift off the brakes and apply brakes again. To me it seems the vaccum brake assist when lifting off the brakes clears the shudder. Never noticed the shudder with a door opening or similar but will keep an eye out. Thinking I need to look at the throttle body and get it cleaned. Have about 150K miles and owned it since bought it as a dealer program with about 5K miles on it.

Back