Silverstar problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Silverstar problems

Does anyone else have the silverstars burn out frequently. My fogs go out way too often. I might get 5 months out of a bulb. I do drive with them on a lot, but still, my parking lights and tail lights last forever. is there abetter bulb thats similar to silverstars?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe try EuroDesignz? I have had a set in my fogs for over a year with no problems. I have been using EuroDesignz for a few years now. I always have an extra set, they have a lifetime warranty (I think its $6 replacement cost) so when they burn out, I send back the bad bulbs and use my other set until my replacements come. Only had to do it once in 3 years though.

I've run Silverstars in three of my cars for two years. One set burned out in my roadster after six months. The other two sets, including my Ex using 9007s, are still shining. My son used a brand named Eurolites and they burned out after a couple of weeks. I believe it's all in how they are installed. Grease and oil are a bulb's enemy. I use latex gloves and lint-free rags to handle and install them. I'm careful not to let the glass bulbs touch anything during installation.
My son used bare hands and you know about his results. We pulled his bulbs out and the glass was warped as though it has been melted. Obviously, grease or oil had gotten onto the glass and caused temperatures hot enough to blow the bulb.
I also called Sylvania about the set that did burn out, "prematurely". They did say that the bulbs are tweaked to get higher output so that bulb life will probably decrease. They also recommended that I change the bulbs once a year. I'm still trying to decide on the latter recommendation.

When our '92 X was our daily driver, I would have to change out the bulbs about once a year (silverstars). I keep a spare in the truck since I live in the boonies and I hate driving with 1 light on a dark, 2 lane road where the deer roam.

~Mark

Mine in both the headlights, for lights and front turn signal lights last as long as any other bulb.

What I found with my 97 was the seal around the foglight casing did not have a great seal. If you look around at night you will find that many 2nd gen explorers will have at least one fog light out. What I did was remove left and right housing. It was very simple just loosen a nut and it is on a pivot, it just swings right out. Then I cleaned it really well to make sure there was no debris in it. make sure you do not get the inside very wet if so let it sit for a bit. Then I took clear silicon caulking/sealant and put a thin bead around the houseing(the clear housing is actuallt two pieces). It is where the front clear plastic connects with the back piece. This is where the humidity and water was getting in, even though I never saw it, it only takes a bit to burn those hot bulbs, and the fog light location is perfect for wet pudles. After I let the sealent dry I reassembled. I was going through fog bulbs once evey 3-6 months, after the fix I went two years without them going out, they may still be working but I will never know I traded it in for my 04! Good luck!

Could never keep them in my '95 fogs. I've had the headlights fore 2+ years so far and not a bit of trouble. I've been thinking about getting them for the fogs of the new one, but I don't want to go through all the hassle again with them.

I've got a set of PIAA (superwhites- I believe) in the fogs. They actually match up pretty well to the silverstars. Got 'em for free from a friend out of his 240 when he went HID. I know PIAA's have no life span- I went through more than a few sets on my CBR- but these have been in since August- I've been pretty impressed!

dannyb420 said:
What I found with my 97 was the seal around the foglight casing did not have a great seal. If you look around at night you will find that many 2nd gen explorers will have at least one fog light out. What I did was remove left and right housing. It was very simple just loosen a nut and it is on a pivot, it just swings right out. Then I cleaned it really well to make sure there was no debris in it. make sure you do not get the inside very wet if so let it sit for a bit. Then I took clear silicon caulking/sealant and put a thin bead around the houseing(the clear housing is actuallt two pieces). It is where the front clear plastic connects with the back piece. This is where the humidity and water was getting in, even though I never saw it, it only takes a bit to burn those hot bulbs, and the fog light location is perfect for wet pudles. After I let the sealent dry I reassembled. I was going through fog bulbs once evey 3-6 months, after the fix I went two years without them going out, they may still be working but I will never know I traded it in for my 04! Good luck!

I have replaced my foglight housings...but before...my one foglight was 1/4 full of water and the bulb was still working. They were stock bulbs, but who knows...it worked for several months until I could get replacement housings.

Back