• Register Today It's free!

Single 'chirp' when braking

Broke(n)

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 300A Limited
Tonight I just noticed a single 'chirp' when applying the brakes.
Every time I push the brakes just a little bit I get it. It sounds like it is coming only from Front/Left wheel. It's not a long squeak but a short burst 'chirp'.
I mostly heard it when I was going through parking lot and drive-thru but I did hear it when driving at a a low speed through surface streets. On freeway and having to brake I could not hear it. Pads and rotors are fine. Not new but nowhere needing replaced.

Not sure if this is related, but I heard for the first time tonight also, my front suspension, going over speed bumps in said parking lot. Not sure what to call the sound but I will assume it's that sound that says I need to be replaced. Like rubber on rubber. Though suspension doesn't seem 'squishy' at all. Actually seems fine. Maybe it's a bushing?

But I'd like to find out this chirp first.

Check the wear on the pads. Most brake pads are designed to chirp when they wear down to the point they need to be replaced. It's the clip rubbing on the rotor. Replace both sides. If you have significant wear on one side and the other is fine you may need a caliper replacement. Most likely it's just the pads though.

Back