Single mom looking for advice on 1994 Ford Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single mom looking for advice on 1994 Ford Transmission

Vivian0709

Reaction score
City, State
Hobart, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4X4
I am a recently single mom and my ex husband was the mechanic in the house and since we are no longer together, this looked like a good place to start.

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer and it apparently seems to leak transmission fluid into the oil. I can add two quarts of transmission fluid and within a few days the transmission dipstick reads empty and my transmission starts to slip, however, my oil dipstick reads overfull and I haven't added a drop of oil.

How is this possible? Someone mentioned to me about a valve that connects the two lines - I am not a mechanic by any means so I really need some advice on this, if possible.

Thanks and hope to hear from someone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...welcome here...we have a few really good tranny guys that could answer your questions...don't get discouraged if they don't answer right away....they are on and off during work...;)

Welcome luv from England....:)

Welcome to the forum.

I might be way off base, but this seems like a leaking vacuum modulator--

From what I understand, it is easily replaceable.
In any event, it will give you something to search for, you might find an answer-

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate all the advice I can get since I know nothing about cars. However, I will start by looking at the vacuum modulator. Thank you all for the welcome too. :D

I will continue to check to see if there is anymore advice...Have a great day!!

...i'm sorry our tranny guru's haven't seen this yet...they will as soon as they get a chance...glacier991 and brooklynbay i would suggest to look up and chat with...;)

...here's a bump for you...:D

You have a bad Transmision modulator valve!

I had the same problem: 1994 Eddie Bauer Ex. All the ATF gets sucked into the intake through the vacuum lines. Causes havok! Backfire through intake etc. I bought the part for about $25 and had a local shop install if for a 100 bucks. Big difference after repair. Double check your vacuum lines at the vacuum tree after the repair. They tend to blow off when it backfires.

PS. Change your oil afterwards too.

Good luck! :salute: Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks again for the help. Now where is the modulator value located??? I asked at the Ford Dealership and around to some other folks and everyone tells me that it is impossible for the transmission fluid to go into the oil.

Some guy at the dealership even checked to make sure I knew where to put the transmission fluid. I am not stupid...I know where the oil and transmission fluid goes and I know how to check them. Guess he figured since I was a woman I was stupid. LOL

Anyway, thanks for the help. This is an awesome site...glad I found it.

Vivian

I'm fuzzy about the line from the vacuum modulator, I thought that it went to a basic vacuum source. That would ingest any trans fluid if the MV leaked, which would mean burning it, not letting it get into the oil crankcase.

The modulator valve is on the side of the transmission, the left side I believe. I think that there is one bolt holding a bracket in place, which holds the MV.

Anyway, find the MV and get to it, then pull the vacuum line off. If you trace it at the engine you could start by checking it first. See if that MV vacuum line has transmission in it. If so then it definitely needs a new modulator valve. Good luck,

Yes, you have a leaky vacuum modulator. It is on the passenger side of the tranny... a brass colored thing with a vacuum line going to it.

And Don, a year ago I would have agreed with you. Back then I had a bad vacuum modulator and delayed replacing it.... knowing it was bad. I went to change my oil one day and it was nearly 2-1/2quarts overfull and the oil smelled like ATF... HOW the ATF goes into the vacuum system and finds its way to the oil is a mystery to me, but by gosh, it DOES ! (I am guessing probably 50-70% gets burned but SOME does find the oilpan.)

Welcome to this forum! Transmission fluid has cleaning agents, so it can't be bad for the engine providing that you replace your oil on a regular basis. You wouldn't want to dislodge sludge inside of your engine, then recirculate it. The modulator has a small pin which could get lost while the old modulator is being removed. Keep this in mind, and put a cardboard underneath the vehicle to catch it. Another idea is to hold a magnet next to the modulator while you pull it out. This could minimize the risk of losing it. Clean the vacuum line with seafoam to remove all of the old fluid inside of it.

This hoever, IS a job I would not mind recommending you allow a trans shop to do. Should cost about $80-90.

Thanks Chris, I have read the accounts of others having trans fluid in the oil pan. I need to look harder at where the vacuum line goes, it surely can't be going past piston rings. Interesting yes?

I had this happen too. Can't explain it, but it happens. It's extremely easy to change if you take out your drivers seat and pull up the carpet. There's a cover there where ford would have put a 5spd. Unbolt it, remove, change modulator, reverse order :D

That modulator valve can be changed from under the truck. I did both my 91 and 93 from below, no big deal. I changed the MV pin to a longer pin by 1/8", the 1/2 shift is better this way.

I don't know, I just found it easier to do from the top, but whatever works for ya. :thumbsup:

I feel like I am attending an AA meeting or something by admitting this, BUT... last year I was really busy at work and when I looked at the replacement of my modulator... I (blush) PAID a trans shop to replace it for me.

I know. My name is Chris and I paid for someone to do something I could have done myself. (All join now: "Hi CHRIS")

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No biggie, it's not like you paid $400 for a simple brake job, or what ever that really costs. I've never done that, I don't know. Night,

Back