• Register Today It's free!

Sirius radio question

46er

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Not sure this is the right place for this question, but the Sirius radio is in the '11 EX. Can it be used as a 'regular' AM/FM radio where you can select local stations, or only thru the Sirius channels? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sirius is additional functionality added to the normal AM/FM functions if its like in my F150.

yep, normal radio is there also an aux. in for a walk man.

Not sure this is the right place for this question, but the Sirius radio is in the '11 EX. Can it be used as a 'regular' AM/FM radio where you can select local stations, or only thru the Sirius channels? Thanks

Like on a radio w/ a CD player, you select FM/AM/CD .. this just adds another source to select, so you'll be able to choose between FM/AM/CD/SIRIUS/USB/AUX

Yes, the radio will have both an AM/FM and a Sirius tuner so you can listen to it all. Of course if you continue to pay for the Sirius subscription.

AND if you are getting the LTD model, you get the Sony Premium system that also included "HD" radio with 12 spkrs.

Just to point out the Ex also has HD radio... IMO, the Sirius radio is audibly a notch below anything else I play. It really sounds like 24kb or lower bitrate stuff. I like the variety on Sirius but the quality will likely keep me from renewing.

Just to point out the Ex also has HD radio... IMO, the Sirius radio is audibly a notch below anything else I play. It really sounds like 24kb or lower bitrate stuff. I like the variety on Sirius but the quality will likely keep me from renewing.

Sirius streams are definitely compressed a bit, but you don't need great quality to listen to Howard Stern ;)

I have an additional Sirius question:

Just got my new company vehicle - 2011 Explorer Base model - and was excited to see that it has the Sirius controls in the factory radio. However, it appears that I am missing the Sirius tuner to be able to activate it.

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner? I do not want to buy a separate unit and would like to run everything through my factory controls. I have checked the Ford website and it does not appear on there. Is it even available yet?

I have an additional Sirius question:

Just got my new company vehicle - 2011 Explorer Base model - and was excited to see that it has the Sirius controls in the factory radio. However, it appears that I am missing the Sirius tuner to be able to activate it.

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner? I do not want to buy a separate unit and would like to run everything through my factory controls. I have checked the Ford website and it does not appear on there. Is it even available yet?
I have the same question. Is the sirius radio already built into the base unit radio? It appears there is an antenna, sirius button, and even a sticker in the window that indicates a sirius radio is onboard. Howerer, I cannot access the ESN which is the radio number required for Sirius to activate and connect to their sateline. I really don't want to add all the wires of my old portable Sirius radio when it is likely to alredy be onboard. ** Has anyone answered you yet? **

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner?

Hey guys,

Thanks for thoroughly answering this! 46er, if you have any more questions about your radio, please let me know!

Cory

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner?
I'm also wanting to buy a "Plug and Play" Sirius Tuner for a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD. (Mine doesn't have Sirius as a Standard option because despite that it's a US Spec vehicle, before the vehicle is shipped abroad the Sirius Tuner is removed. I have another vehicle and Sirius does work fine here in the Caribbean since we're between Puerto Rico and the East Coast).

Thanks in advanced,

DF

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner?...
Welcome to the forum, DF! I recommend contacting the SIRIUS Radio Customer Care @ 1-888-539-7474 to purchase a plug and play tuner. You can also go to their site here:

http://www.SIRIUS.com

Cory

"I have an additional Sirius question:

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner? I do not want to buy a separate unit and would like to run everything through my factory controls. I have checked the Ford website and it does not appear on there. Is it even available yet?"

I have this same question and haven't seen anyone be able to answer it yet. Dealer has no clue and Sirius customer service says to contact the dealer. Banging my head against the wall.

"I have an additional Sirius question:

Does anyone know where I can find the Sirius tuner? I do not want to buy a separate unit and would like to run everything through my factory controls. I have checked the Ford website and it does not appear on there. Is it even available yet?"

I have this same question and haven't seen anyone be able to answer it yet. Dealer has no clue and Sirius customer service says to contact the dealer. Banging my head against the wall.
Welcome to the Forum bulldog80. :wavey:
I'm looking at the 2011 brochure and it does not show Sirius radio for the base model. It does for the XLT and Limited.

Peter

I have the same brochure. It shows it, just not as standard equipment. It has the sirius button on the head unit, the sticker on the window, and the antenna. When I push the button it says "sirius not equipped, see dealer". Well the problem is that my dealership is apparently completely out of touch with what Ford products are equipped with.

I've been trying out Sirius and I don't find it to be that great... the sound quality is way worse than HD radio...it is often on par with AM radio. And as far as content, I haven't found much I'm interested in that I don't already get on my local stations. The only advantage for me would be not having to change the dial when I travel, and that isn't often. Just my 2 cents

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try downloading to your smartphone TuneIn Radio. It allows you to stream all kind of music/programs from the Worl to your radio. Sounds quality depends on your network, but it is acceptable as a compressed format starting from 2G (Edge).

Back