• Register Today It's free!

Slips in reverse

Gln

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
My trans slips when in reverse going up a hill or in any situation that puts a load on the vehical... like in mud.

Going forward up steep hills no problem. There are no unusual noises. Any idea of what the problem could be?

I recently had the trans rebuilt. The shop assures me it is not the trans. They say it is in the transfer case but they are not sure what it is.

Any of you had this problem? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be takng it back to the shop and tell them to get it right.

Go to another shop and get an estimate. I don't think it's the transfer case.

It is not that simple. I am doing volunteer work in Central America. Their auto-trans skills are mediocre. What I need is someone with experience who can help me trouble shoot the problem. Then I will buy the correct parts and have them installed.

With my limited Spanish, the best I can understand the mechanic is in the transfer case there is a set of clutches and an electrical or magnetic mechanism that actuates reverse. He says they all look good and check out ok. He admits he does not know the problem but is confident it is in the transfer case.

I have very limited internet access. If anyone can help with some technical guidance, it would be GREATLY appreciated. glenevans@artforhumanity.org Thanks!

Back