• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Sloshing sound with full tank

RickyG

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Callsign
I
It’s probably just fuel flowing over the top of the baffles. If a baffle was broken, and flopping around your tank, you’d know it. It’d also get worse the less fuel you had.
I found this on the internet do you think it's possible this could be the same problem with the 2020 Explorer?

https://ford.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-2003.pdf

If the straps are permitting too much movement of the tank, it can amplify the movement of the fuel which would create larger waves in the tank or would create waves in the fuel that collide excessively with each. Both would lead to sloshing around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

scottfmc

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Limited

Vash610

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
It could be that I just noticed it, but it started happening right after I over filled the gas tank. The auto stop feature on the gas filler was broken so I filled manually. I think I have may overfilled it.

For those who hear this noise, have you ever overfilled your gas tank?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I found this on the internet do you think it's possible this could be the same problem with the 2020 Explorer?

If the straps are permitting too much movement of the tank, it can amplify the movement of the fuel which would create larger waves in the tank or would create waves in the fuel that collide excessively with each. Both would lead to sloshing around.
Nice find Ricky. It could be the same issue.

Peter

KTrabue

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

I think this is a strong possibility. I’ll bring it up to my dealership. Thank you!

2020ST

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I found an easy way to hear the sloshing noise without driving the car. I just filled my gas tank, and if you rock the car back and forth from the left rear you can hear the liquid moving back and forth quite audibly. I've also been driving in the rain the last couple days, so haven't ruled out water being trapped somewhere.

geronimo_jenkins

Reaction score
City, State
DFW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
I’ve been driving a lot with AC off recently and it’s quite pronounced. I notice it will slosh a couple times over a few seconds after an abrupt stop. It’s really pronounced with the engine start-stop function enabled.

My service advisor’s trying to pawn this off as normal, and that his “07 Mustang makes the same noise.” But if that’s the standard for a brand new vehicle I may need to find a different service center.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Stock 2020 Ford Explorer & Aviator 69