• Register Today It's free!

Slow fuel fill.

djpavlus

Reaction score
City, State
fingerlakes, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 xlt
I have reoccurring very slow fuel filling problems. 2 yrs ago replaced water separator filter and vent solinoid, fixed for about 1 yr then started again, replaced vent soliniod again good for another yr now mechanic says it must be in the fuel tank vent system. fuel fill tube was pulled and checked for blockage any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! When you are filling up does the fuel come back up the filler hose? You might have to replace the tube if that's the case. There is normally a vent tube that runs along the side of the filler neck that releases the pressure while you a pumping the fuel in

yes, fuel backs up making it kick off, mech has pulled the tube and there are no obstructions, also parallel vent tube was pulled to make sure it wasn't the problem. could it be a stuck roll over valve?

It could be the charcoal canister, if you are a person that tops off the fuel tank evrytime the gas and vapors get forced into the canister. A charcoal canister can only hold so much vapor and liquid fuel before it becomes a blockage in the evap syetem.

the fuel filler neck has a screen.

else fuel pump.

will the charcoal canister dry out on its own or does it have to be replaced and if so do you have to drop the fuel tank?

will the charcoal canister dry out on its own or does it have to be replaced and if so do you have to drop the fuel tank?

it will vapor out, and it has **** to do with slow fill. you would need gallons of gas in it...

and i have never seen one with fuel.

also since the engine pulls from the canister into the engine, you would see lol rich codes.

just some trivial info.

Hey I have a 02 that is doing this as well. Anybody have clue what is causing it. If I pump at say 1/3rd as fast as the pump will go it doesn't kick off. But any faster than that it will. Not sure what the deal is. I just need to know where to start. Thanks alot.

STU

Not sure if this is true in the 3rd gens but in most tanks there is usually a small metal door in the tank where the large fuel hose connects to. This door has a spring and usually remains closed unless theres enough weight (of fuel) to open it. Sometimes this same door starts binding at its pivots and doesn't open or doesnt open all of the way to let fuel into the tank - which causes the backup of fuel. This was the issue in my diesel van and, after disconnecting the fuel hose, I used a metal rod to push the door open a few times to ease the binding. Fuel still backs up every now and then but 95% of the time, I can set the fuel pump to full and it will fill up the tank w/o any backups.

Ding Ding! We have a winner IZxwack was right. I took the whole filler neck off. Nothing in it. I put it back and as I was tightening up the hose clamp I though stick your finger in there. I pushed the flapper stuck up moved with a bit of effort. Then kept getting easier. I took the Mounty out and she was thristy again! Gas ran in at full pump speed I am so happy. Thanks guys for all of help as usual you guys rock!!!
STU

if the anti siphon plug is broken you need a tank.

fwwiw

Woot

Don't feel like it was broke, just stuck. I hope anyway.
STU

same issue here with codes

It could be the charcoal canister, if you are a person that tops off the fuel tank evrytime the gas and vapors get forced into the canister. A charcoal canister can only hold so much vapor and liquid fuel before it becomes a blockage in the evap syetem.

I think this is my issue. fueling takes forever backing up filler neck causing fuel nozzle to shut off.

I also have 2 codes:
P0455 - evap emission control system leak (large) and
P0174 - system too lean bank 2.

Could this be the charcoal canister or something else? Is this harmful? How do I fix this issue? Do I replace the charcoal canister? and if so how is it done?

Thank you all for all that you do!

Back