Slow start issue

JarheadK5

Reaction score
City, State
PA; the world
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer 4.6
Slow start issue **NEW UPDATE**

This past week, I've experienced an intermittent slow-to-start issue. She'll crank just fine (great cranking speed), but it'll take 4-5 seconds of cranking before it'll start. Almost like it's not getting fuel. Did not happen on the first start of the day today, but it DID happen twice while we were out running errands - in other words, it doesn't seem to be tied to a long period of not running. There is no CEL or message-center messages when it happens.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, then what???

I'm being serious here; this is a new "thing" the truck is doing. First time it happened was to my wife... and she had our 3 month-old baby with her. She's obviously not pleased with this development. There is a problem here; in 6 years of ownership it's never done this before.

The truck won't start if the fuel pump does not prime first, so it could be the fuel pump relay that is acting up. Another possibility is the PCM relay if you don't see the check engine light when you turn the key.

Ahhhh, I see what you're saying. I mis-interpreted your initial response as "Just wait till the fuel pump primes" as the final answer. My bad.

re: the PCM relay - are you saying I should see the CEL while cranking, or with the key in the ON position? And a PCM relay problem will NOT light the CEL at these times? I know all the dash lights go thru a self-test during start-up... but to be honest, I don't even notice it anymore... so I wouldn't notice a different lightshow unless I was paying attention for some reason (which I will now).

The check engine light should turn on as soon as the key is turned to the on position (before the engine is started).
So if the CEL does NOT come on at that time, it's the PCM relay?

FMI - where is it located, and how much is a new one?

UPDATE

Has done the long-cranking-before-starting thing a few more times. Now that I'm paying attention to it, the SES light (what I've been calling the CEL) is coming on with the key in the RUN position, the way it's supposed to. When the truck has a long-crank start, I DO NOT hear the fuel pump run with the key in ON.

Is this the fuel pump relay?
Where can I get one? My usual Interweb sources are coming up dry...

Just wondering if you got this resolved? My 02 explorer is doing the same exact thing? We were told that the ecu needed to be updated, did that but still having same issue.

My mounty does this periodically when it's cold out. Didn't think anything of it.

Just wondering if you got this resolved? My 02 explorer is doing the same exact thing? We were told that the ecu needed to be updated, did that but still having same issue.

Still not resolved.
I swapped the fuel pump relay for the horn relay (same part number, in the same junction box under the hood) to see if the problem followed the relay - it did not. I still have the intermittent long-cranking-time start that does not seem to be tied to weather conditions, overnight sits, short trips, or anything else I could point to and say "It does it when ________."

I listen for the fuel pump every time I start it now - I don't EVER hear it, whether it fires right up or cranks for 5 seconds before firing. I have no recollection at this point whether I have ever heard the fuel pump run since we bought the truck (new).

Right now, it's an annoyance. However, it's my wife's DD, and we have a 6-month-old child. I REALLY do not want to get a phone call telling me "It won't start, and can you come get us?"...

[grasps at straws]
Anyone think the fuel filter could be causing this?
[/grasping]

YES, fuel filter or fuel pump? Filter is a cheap test but from what i hear a PIA to replace.

In re-reading it almost sounds like Vapor Lock. I other words when the engine is hot it the fuel vaporizes and creates a bubble in the fuel rail. Until liquid gas refills the rail it doesn't start. This will only happens hot and not stone cold engine.

YES, fuel filter or fuel pump? Filter is a cheap test but from what i hear a PIA to replace.

In re-reading it almost sounds like Vapor Lock. I other words when the engine is hot it the fuel vaporizes and creates a bubble in the fuel rail. Until liquid gas refills the rail it doesn't start. This will only happens hot and not stone cold engine.

Almost sounds like vapor lock - agreed... but sometimes it happens on the very first start of the day. Sometimes it happens when the truck is hot, when we're running several stop-n-go errands. Sometimes, it'll go the entire day without doing it. That's the most frustrating part of this - I can't seem to connect the long starts to any particular action or inaction. It just does it whenever it damn well pleases...

is there anyway you can get an actual fuel pressure reading? If you could, it would eliminate the Fuel Pump which is really what it sounds like.
Or
I'm not sure if you have fly by wire, in other words no Throttle cable. If you have the cable you should have an IAC which might cause this also. Fly By Wire, it not unheard of, although uncommon that the throttle motor is going out.
or
The Fuel Pressure Damper.
Or
it still might be the filter, but it really doesn't sound like it would be the problem, I've just heard and read about driveablity issues without a CEL, and it turned out to be the filter. It usually just starts out of the blue with a fill-up.

Still not resolved.
I swapped the fuel pump relay for the horn relay (same part number, in the same junction box under the hood) to see if the problem followed the relay - it did not. I still have the intermittent long-cranking-time start that does not seem to be tied to weather conditions, overnight sits, short trips, or anything else I could point to and say "It does it when ________."

I listen for the fuel pump every time I start it now - I don't EVER hear it, whether it fires right up or cranks for 5 seconds before firing. I have no recollection at this point whether I have ever heard the fuel pump run since we bought the truck (new).

Right now, it's an annoyance. However, it's my wife's DD, and we have a 6-month-old child. I REALLY do not want to get a phone call telling me "It won't start, and can you come get us?"...

[grasps at straws]
Anyone think the fuel filter could be causing this?
[/grasping]

The fuel pumps in these are a lot quieter then other vehicles. I suggest turning off your stereo and leaving the door open and listen for it when you turn the key to run.

My mounty did the long crank less since I had the fuel filter replaced.

is there anyway you can get an actual fuel pressure reading? If you could, it would eliminate the Fuel Pump which is really what it sounds like.
Or
I'm not sure if you have fly by wire, in other words no Throttle cable. If you have the cable you should have an IAC which might cause this also. Fly By Wire, it not unheard of, although uncommon that the throttle motor is going out.
or
The Fuel Pressure Damper.
Or
it still might be the filter, but it really doesn't sound like it would be the problem, I've just heard and read about driveablity issues without a CEL, and it turned out to be the filter. It usually just starts out of the blue with a fill-up.

He has an 03, no fly by wire. We have the cable and IAC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02 explorer long crank time

I just bought a 2002 72k Explorer that seems to crank for 4-5 seconds before starting. I have tried cycling the key to power the fuel pump- leaving it in the on postion 4-5 seconds before cranking. Hot or cold does not matter. I plan to change the fuel filter and clean the fuel induction system through the
shrader valve on the fuel rail. Have you guys fixed yours???
Rod

Back