• Register Today It's free!

Small Clicking, or tapping noise.

4.0Rerolpxe

Reaction score
City, State
Starkville, Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited 4x4
I have a '93 X, and i'm experiencing some light clicking, or tapping from the passenger's side of the engine, its not a constant tapping, just every few seconds, no pattern to it. It does it more frequently when you apply the throttle.

my buddy's 92 does this as well i am curious as to what it is. its not a valve tick because that would be a constant sound right?

I have a '93 X, and i'm experiencing some light clicking, or tapping from the passenger's side of the engine, its not a constant tapping, just every few seconds, no pattern to it. It does it more frequently when you apply the throttle.

It's probably engine "ping", pretty common on the OHV's. Causes can be a bad MAF sensor, leaking lower intake manifold gasket, or excessive carbonization of the heads. Do a search on "Seafoam" for the decarbonization. Search on "Ping" for the others.

Go Bulldogs, I'm an MSU grad, '71.:usa:

Its not my normal engine ping, something else. I believe it to be related to an oil change i just got, took it in for a/c work and had the oil done while there, they added 5 Quarts of Castrol GTX, (Not sure if it was high mileage, but it was supposed to be.) And a Quart of BG MOA, it was recommended as being better than Lucas. BUT i don't believe my truck is getting proper lubrication with BG Moa. Lucas just sticks better.
I'm taking her back up there tomorrow b/c they over filled it by a quart, 5 quart engine 6 quarts of oil : /
Does anyone know if you can mix BG Moa and Lucas?

Back